Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  21:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S ANOTHER PIC FROM THE SAME SESSION (page 1 of this thread, bottom).
Looks like the photographer switched us two boys and said to me: "Ok, kid, now you point at the frog."

STEVE-- Thanks for identifying Sally W; I had forgotten that she was in our class. She's in another pic with Bev that I'll post soon.

--------------------------------------------------------
And on that day in July, 2005, right before good old Jefferson was demolished, I took these photos using my cell phone:

Facing northwest in the kindergarten room--- the bright window looks out on the west playground; around the corner
of the light-blue wall was our little "science" area, and the BULLETIN BOARD/BLACKBOARD that you see on the
right side of the picture was the exact spot where the two b & w "frog-tank" pics above were taken (check the
bulletin board and blackboard right behind us kids above--same ones you see here:

HERE'S A VIEW of the little "science" alcove, where the frog-tank was generally kept.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/25/2012 16:18:24
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  02:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S A GREAT SHOT of good old Jefferson School's LIBRARY, taken a year or two after I had left for OLPH.
Bev Kush and Sally Witulski from Magoun Avenue are the two girls standing on the right (STEVE--TELL BEV
TO CHECK THIS OUT!! She can probably I.D. some of the other kids).

This pic was taken in the southwest corner of the room; it was here, starting in early '57, that my brother Mike discovered the 8 or 10 books
on DINOSAURS that were in the library's collection, which were sitting on the shelves right behind Bev and Sally (where the book "BIG ZOO"
is seen here).

Here are four of our favorites from that collection (not original copies, but recent E-bay purchases):

And here's the entrance door to the library, located in the front of the building and shielded by a little brick enclosure.
Pic taken just before the place was demolished in July of '05.

I still can picture exactly what the librarian at Jefferson looked like, a matronly woman with grey hair---
like everybody's favorite aunt, seated behind the desk, always wearing her regulation slate-blue
dress; nice lady who always kidded us about the fact that all we ever checked out were the DINO books.
Still remember that device that attached to her pencil that had the changeable date thing on it to stamp
the due date in the book.

Great times.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/27/2012 03:04:52
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  03:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice library photo -- thanks!

Did you ever see "Monsters of Old Los Angeles: The Prehistoric Animals of the La Brea Tar Pits"?

My greatest finds (mostly at the Hansen Branch) were: "Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet," "Rusty's Space Ship," and "Science Fun with Milk Cartons." Any of them ring a bell, with anybody?

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  14:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BILL-----

Can't say that I recall any of the books you mention; my brother Mike eventually shifted from dinosaurs to astronomy
and space travel; when we moved to Hessville and we'd go to the Hansen Library, he found a novel
entitled "The Stars are Ours" that he loved.

Was "Monsters of Old L.A." a book?

ANYWAY---
regarding our old Jefferson Dino books (above): the one with the least interesting cover (the red one
on the bottom) actually had the COOLEST drawings inside. The book was by Herbert ZIM, with artwork
by James Gordon Irving, brilliantly drawn in lead pencil.

Here's two pages:

Bold, monstrous stuff, especially the detail on the face of the T.Rex; the book is FULL of images like this.
During that fabulous summer of 1957, I used to sit and stare at these pics, then try to copy and draw them
myself. This was shortly after MILLER released their big set of wax Dinos, which we would buy
at Newberry's in Woodmar Shopping Center.

And life was good......

Larry

PS---In the library reading photo above, I wonder why they had the boys sitting and the girls standing?

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/28/2012 20:20:43
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  03:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, "Monsters of Old Los Angeles" is a book--about a prehistoric racoon who lives by the La Brea tar pits, and sees a lot of pretty dramatic events.

"The Stars Are Ours" was another favorite.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything by Roy Chapman Andrews: "In the Days of the Dinosaurs," "All About Strange Beasts of the Past." It was Andrews who discovered the first dinosaur eggs, in the Gobi desert.

Once, you couldn't buy a dinosaur egg for a million dollars. Several years ago I bought one on Ebay for $ 143, a hadrosaur egg smuggled out of China. Don't know what the current going rate is.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  07:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you like 'em scrambled or fried?
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  15:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--

As Shemp says in the Stooges short "Don't Throw That Knife!"---

MAKE MINE FRIED!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  18:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In regards to the photo Larry
posted above with my sister in the library, she sent this e-mail to me:

Well, here's my best shot at it.
The boys around the table, starting at the left side (backs showing) -
Scott ?
Tom Locke?
Can't tell the blonde
John Leslie
Don't know
Looks familiar - maybe a Blaemier?
Girls from left -
Pam Weimer?
Rosemary Muir ?
Anita Grandfield

Maybe Sally will know. I'll try to see if I have any old class photos here.

Can't get her to sign up & post here.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/28/2012 18:48:12
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  20:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BILL-

Yes, we also used to check out the Roy Chapman Andrews book; the Jefferson copy had a thick blue and yellow cover,
not the 4-color one used in more recent re-prints. During one particular summer reading of that book, Mike
became very upset and freaked out over the very graphic description of a T.Rex killing and devouring a
trachodon; maybe you remember this section of the book. I remember being over at our grandmother's house
on VanBuren late one summer night, and Mike describing it to me; he never forgot it. It's odd how things sometimes
affect you as a kid.

Hadrosaur eggs being sold over the Internet? I wonder how rare they are.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/29/2012 15:18:20
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  04:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadrosaurs (i.e. duckbills) were apparently the most plentiful of dinosaurs. Certainly, their eggs (mostly from China) were the ones I saw offered most frequently on Ebay.

Broken fragments of dinosaur egg shell (more properly, of the stone that replaced the actual egg shell) went for around $ 10.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  15:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another Library/Historical Room file photo, incorrectly filed under "Wilson School", but definitely part of a
photo shoot in Jefferson's Kindergarten room (on the east end of the room, I think).

I'd say it was taken during 1954-'55, the school's first two years in operation (Bev Kush and I didn't start 'til fall
of '56, the school's third year).

How much do you want to bet that the big guy on the slide punched out the photographer right after this shot was taken?
LR

PS-- Anyone recognize any of these youngsters?

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/29/2012 15:17:40
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  15:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna take a shot at it, Larry.
For some reason, I think either the girl on the far left or
the girl second in line is Sharon Hlad.
Just a guess, though. No real proof.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/29/2012 15:26:10
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the boy on the right is bored. Looks like he'd be happier back home on the farm.
Helpin' Pa with the chores. Behind a horse and plow, maybe.

And the girl in front of him?
I'll bet she still holds her elbow and twittles her necklace to this day
when she ponders a new adventure!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/03/2012 17:55:07
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  18:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I think either the girl on the far left or the girl second in line is Sharon Hlad

STEVE--

I think you meant the girl on the far right (?).
Anyway, you might be right about the girl second in-line with the white blouse. Check with Carol or
Bev to see if that's Sharon Hlad; that would tell us what year this pic was taken.

Interesting insights into these kid's psyche(s).

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  19:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Larry, I did mean the far right.
The more I look at the two girls, I'm leaning towards the one on the far right, not the second one in line. I'll ask, but who knows when either sister will look here.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S A CLASSIC PHOTO from the Hammond Library Archives--

Taken on May 18, 1956 in Jefferson School's Kindergarten room (the spring before Bev Kush and I started).
Seen here is the little fenced-in area where some students would "play house", though on
this particular day, the kiddie's innocent activities were under the watchful eye of some visitors:

MAN, what a posse! How'd ya like to be holding a little make-believe tea gathering with your friends with THESE brutes glowering at you?

I'd call it "Tea and NO Symphathy"

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A CAPTION TO THIS PIC?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/26/2012 14:03:16
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  20:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you see, doctors, here is my invention. Minature people.
or
Honey, I shrunk the kids.
ps Don't anyone smile.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  14:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FIGURED THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD TIME to post the final Jefferson Kindergarten pic I unearthed.

It's a continuation of the May 18th, 1956 event seen above, as Hammond big-wigs and authoritarian
brutes invade the serene, care-free world of innocent young-uns'.

I remember the Art area well, and the smell of those primary color kiddie-paints as they ran down the
paper on the easel; also the yummy taste of white paste.

During the spring of '57 (my year in Jefferson's Kindergarten) we also started to mess with
PLA-DOH (ie: "Play Dough") at home; now there's a great scent from childhood!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/16/2012 14:50:46
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  14:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed soemthing about the ART pic I just posted above:

The little guy on the extreme right of the pic (who looks a bit terrified) had just finished a painting
that really looks cool and very accomplished for a 5-year old. The (teacher-painted) name on the
top of his pic says: "GENE N."

I wonder who he is (was) and what became of his artistic talent.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/16/2012 14:51:07
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  16:22:33  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Of the men, could that be Dr Eggers in the middle?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  23:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember those classrooms well!
Miss Barr was Little Stevie's kindergarten teacher also.
I'm not sure of the date but here's a photo of Little Stevie's first day of school

L to R
Rod Hlad, Michelle Koval, A very dear Friend of Little Stevie's and Little Stevie himself

Rod and Michelle were already Jefferson veterans.
I started in January of 1960? I was known as a "mid termer"
We started in the winter then moved up a grade the next winter.
This only lasted until the second grade.
They held my class of about 25/30 mid-termers a semester until the spring. We then joined the kids who were a half a year younger than us in class.
2E was the class designation.
It was one of the reasons that the graduating classes of 1973 were some of the largest in all high schools in Indiana.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/20/2012 23:18:12
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

HERE'S A CLASSIC PHOTO from the Hammond Library Archives--

Taken on May 18, 1956 in Jefferson School's Kindergarten room (the spring before Bev Kush and I started).
Seen here is the little fenced-in area where some students would "play house", though on
this particular day, the kiddie's innocent activities were under the watchful eye of some visitors:

MAN, what a posse! How'd ya like to be holding a little make-believe tea gathering with your friends with THESE brutes glowering at you?

I'd call it "Tea and NO Symphathy"

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A CAPTION TO THIS PIC?

LR

Girl with the spoon:
"OK, on my 'GO' we all turn our heads at the same time and just stare at these old fools. Don't say a word. They'll leave"
...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/21/2012 07:33:57
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  16:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Here's the same pic above---your first day of Kindergarten at Jefferson. I'm not sure why your
post above did not reproduce full size.

So there they are - four of the MAGOUN AVENUE kids of the late '50's: Rod Hlad, Mickey Koval, my sister Nancy
(who looks like she just caught a spitwad in the eye), and our pal "Lil'" Stevie himself.

This pic was recently made from Steve's own print---but I clearly remember this photo being in the Rapchak album for years
as well. I thought the original negative was ours, and that we must have made a copy (back then) for your family.
Not sure, but who cares at this point?

Steve: as I recall....didn't you once have a little "dust-up" of some sort with Michelle Koval.....
or am I just imagining it?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/21/2012 16:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  20:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Larry,
I don't know why my post was so small.
How 'bout that hat on Little Stevie, huh?
Kindergarten. . .hmmm. . . what I remember most? The little train sets with the plastic track & some type of vehicle that
you sat on.
Pushed & pulled a handle of sorts while steering with your feet on the front axle. Think it was called an "Irish Mail"?
Sound familiar to anyone?
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  01:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

I dig the hat. That's who we were back in the good old days.

How 'bout Rod Hlad, the junior DUDE of Magoun Ave, complete with the leather gloves?

One of my main memories of kindergarten at Jefferson was the fact that I flunked SKIPPING.....(?)......Yes,
it's true. We lined up along the west wall of the room, and Ms Barr sat about 15 feet away from us; one
at a time, we had to SKIP across the floor about 20 feet towards where she was sitting. I thought I
did pretty damn' good, but she failed me.

I was a bit baffled, but it was no big deal. Today, everbody would have been handed a trophy for just trying.

Now about that your dust-up between you and Michelle Kowal (in the pic above); something lurking in your past
that we should know about?

Larry
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  09:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

Thanx Larry,what I remember most? The little train sets with the plastic track & some type of vehicle that
you sat on.
Pushed & pulled a handle of sorts while steering with your feet on the front axle. Think it was called an "Irish Mail"?
Sound familiar to anyone?
LS

"Irish Mail" sounds like the toy vehicle Rick Dale and his gang charged many $$$ for restoring on History Channel's American Restoration show a while back.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  09:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ken, I saw that episode, too. And there are several Irish Mail Cart (toys)
on EBay. Steve you may find one just like the one you remember.

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  13:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll halfta look
on E-Bay for one, SC.

Ok, Larry wants the "Michelle Koval Incident" story:

When this took place, I'm not sure. Must have been in the second or third grade.

The forecast must have called for rain that day. Walking home from Jefferson with Michelle, or "Mickey" as she was known, Cy Beda, who lived next door to us on the south and can be seen in many MAM photos and "AALLLAANN" Molchan, who lived down the street, next to Mickey, we had crossed the alley between Ridgeland & Baring Aves.

As I've mentioned here before, Alan had some type of affliction or disease that caused him to bruise with the slightest touch to his body. Beda took advantage of this every now and then by beating him regularly, since Alan was the only one in the 'hood Cy could "take".

On this day, there was no rain but Mickey had her umbrella with her. As we crossed Baring Ave. getting ready to turn into our alley, for whatever reason, Cy hit Alan and knocked him down. Mickey, being older, decided to stick up for Al and was going to hit/strike Cy with the umbrella. I didn't want to see any of my friends fight plus I wasn't too happy with Cy, because we all knew about Al, and he again took out his anger on him.

Well, as I reached to stop Mickey from hitting Cy, she turned towards me and proceeded to stab me in the stomach with the steel point that all those old umbrellas had back then.

I was shocked that she'd do this, since I hadn't made any type of aggressive move towards her or Alan.
Well. . . lemme tell ya . . . when she began her second thrust towards me, I retaliated by moving a little to my right and landed a left "roundhouse" to her stomach!
I am left handed so it was an instinctive move for self-defense.

I'm not sure if she was shocked by the punch, which, BTW, I don't think really landed with any force, or by the fact she had been hit by a boy! Which we all know is FORBIDDEN!

Well, she dropped her weapon and ran down the alley, crying, to home.

I had to get my hair cut at Darnell's. When I got home, Mom gave me the money and off I went. I knew she hadn't heard about me being attacked yet.
As soon as I left the barbershop and reached the corner, I could see my mother standing on the public sidewalk in front of our house, waiting for me to cross 169th and come home.
With her arms folded, she stood there, looking at me as I approached. When I reached her and SMiLED at her, all she said was "Let's Go!"

Down the street we walked to the Koval's. When Mickey and her mother came to the door, Mom started crying and apologizing saying she had taught me to NEVER hit girls.
(even though my two older sisters could take a whack at me whenever the moment struck them)

She told Mickey she was very sorry that I had hit her and that she had brought me there to apologize and tell her how sorry I was too.

I looked up at my mother almost in disbelief. She marched me down here without even asking me why I had hit Mickey!

Since I had also been taught to ALWAYS tell the Truth, I proceeded to say:

"I'll say I'm sorry after she tells me she's sorry for stabbing me with the umbrella first!"

Her mother quickly spoke up saying:

"My Michelle would never strike anyone!"

Mickey denied the stabbing.
I looked at Mickey and she gave me one of those smirks, letting me know she hadn't told her mother the whole story.
I proceeded to tell her mother and my mother the whole story and was accused of lying by Mrs. Koval.
Well, Mom didn't think I was telling the truth either, cause she again demanded me to apologize.

And. . . again. . . I refused!

More crying by Mom. More smirks from Mickey. More demanding looks for satisfaction from Mrs. Koval.
We stood on that porch for at least an hour, if not longer, so it seems to me. Me shaking my head "No". Mom crying. And so on.

Dad would be coming home from work soon.
Dinner hadn't been made yet.
I was realizing that this situation wasn't getting any better and the Truth didn't matter in this case.

Finally, I muttered "I'm sorry" and we went home.

When my Dad heard about it, he wasn't happy at all.
When I showed him the mark that the umbrella made on my stomach, he realised that I was telling the truth but said it still didn't give me the right to hit Mickey.

I hadn't even thought of looking for a mark all the time we were on the porch.

The only reason I saw it was I had taken off my shirt to shower to get all the hair clippings off my neck.

I don't think the incident was ever brought up again. But I knew that somehow the Truth had redeemed me, since I wasn't punished for what had happened.

But I always had my "shields up" after that when playing with Mickey.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/23/2012 18:33:07
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  17:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Jeez.....now I feel quilty for having needled you about the story; I didn't realize the incident was
so emotional for your family. Judging from the pic above, I'd say it was an unfair fight from the beginning;
Mickey looks bigger than you.

But I enjoyed reading it; a well-told tale.

Today you'd probably be arrested and sued for assault; that's where the umbrella marks on your
stomach would really come in handy.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/23/2012 17:38:45
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  18:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

STEVE--

Jeez.....now I feel guilty for having needled you about the story; I didn't realize the incident was
so emotional for your family. Judging from the pic above, I'd say it was an unfair fight from the beginning;
Mickey looks bigger than you.

But I enjoyed reading it; a well-told tale.

Today you'd probably be arrested and sued for assault; that's where the umbrella marks on your
stomach would really come in handy.

Larry

That's alright Larry,
That's the way I remember it.
We know Little Stevie never started any skirmishes,
I was just the innocent little kid on the block who wanted
nothing more than peace & harmony for the 'hood back then.

But I'm not sure this is the way Michelle would remember the incident.
Maybe we can get AALLAANN's version if we meet up with him in the future.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/23/2012 18:38:44
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  19:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the story, Steve.

Now, when I look at the first-day of school picture, I can see why
Mickey has that "I'm so innocent fake" grin on her face and Nancy is grimacing--uh-huh!
Mickey must have poked her in the eye just before the picture posing.

Pictures don't lie, THEY say.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  21:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey SC, now that you mention it, there's a good possibility that Mickey gave Nancy a quick upward snap of her left arm right before the picture was snapped!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/23/2012 21:57:30
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  23:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, you're right....

Now I notice that Nancy's left hand is blurred, as if she's moving
it up quickly in reaction to the pain.

Another photo-conspiracy in the making?

LR
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  11:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey SC, now that you mention it, there's a good possibility that Mickey gave Nancy a quick upward snap of her left arm right before the picture was snapped!
LS

It could have been a left elbow to the right eye. And, Steve either had the forethought to not stand next to Mickey that day or was just lucky.

Edited by - S C Jones on 03/24/2012 11:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  12:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

quote:

LS

It could have been a left elbow to the right eye. And, Steve either had the forethought to not stand next to Mickey that day or was just lucky.

Just lucky. Besides, Nancy was the girl of my closet!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  20:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We shouldn't be too tough on Mickey, all these years later.

I bet I know what happened. Notice in the pic above how green the grass is for January? No snow either.
Plus the adults in the background are dressed for "jacket" weather. But, since parents really took care
of their kids in 1960, all the young'uns were still dressed in full winter wear.

I'd guess that it was an unusually warm January (like now), and Nancy just got hit in the eye
by a stray (early) horsefly, which she is about to swat with her left hand.

I'll check the Hammond Times microfilm re: the weather in early '60.

LR

(PS-- please don't take any of the above seriously).

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/24/2012 22:03:46
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  10:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SORRY FOR THE EXTRA POSTING OF YOUR COMMENT LARS.

Upon further investigation, it is quite possible Nancy was completing or
about to experience a SNEEZE of gigantic proportions!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  10:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...or--some kind of insect flew up her nose and made it to the corner of her eyeball...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/25/2012 10:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

SORRY FOR THE EXTRA POSTING OF YOUR COMMENT LARS.

Upon further investigation, it is quite possible Nancy was completing or
about to experience a SNEEZE of gigantic proportions!

Fixed it for ya, S.C.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

...or--some kind of insect flew up her nose and made it to the corner of her eyeball...Cj

Cj always has the solution. It must be that fresh air between the lakes!
Ken
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  18:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Cj always has the solution. It must be that fresh air between the lakes!
Ken

That must be it, Ken! Whew! Fresh air. Had I still been living in NWI, I probably would have come up with something juvenile and stupid...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  20:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fresh air, Ken?
Between the lakes? I don't think so. Every north wind brought us Magoun folks a huge cloud of odor
from Swift's, just north of the Woodmar Shopping Center. Included in that cloud, oil from Whiting and dust particles from"Da mills"
LS
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  07:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken is talking about where I live now, Kentucky. I'm right off of Kentucky Lake. There is another lake that runs parallel to it, Lake Barkley. This has created a beautiful, natural habitat area called "Land Between the Lakes" which Ken is refering to...Cj
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question. In most of the pictures of children it seems to me that they are not having any fun. some of the school pictures even appear that the little oned have just been castigated.
I noticed this even with the first pix of the teen kids at the restaurant and particularly the little ones on the slide and having a tea party. The little girl standing looks about to cry. Was it just this school? I don't remember Irving School being so serious. I suppose that it could just be my perception too. Any comments? Tom w
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--
We were just ordinary '50's kids; sometimes we were OK with people poking cameras in our faces, other times not
so much. And when the authoritarian brutes arrived for their photo shoot, things might have been a little tense.

I was so happy In Jefferson's Kindergarten that I didn't even mind that I flunked skipping.

ANYWAY---Since my sister Nancy has taken her share of abuse (which I started) re: the color photo above,
I'll give her an assist by posting THIS pic, taken a year later (early '61) in front of Jefferson.
No problem here with spitwads, horseflies, insects, sneezing, etc.

And here's a phone pic from July of 2005 of the VERY SAME DOORS that you see in the old photos above,
taken from the inside as the building was being prepared for demolition.

Sorry to spoil the fun, but that's life.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/26/2012 13:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  16:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the album of my entire musical career.
Began & ended in the sixth grade band @ Jefferson.
Mr. Balk was our bandleader. A tall skinny guy with a receding hairline. He made up for that with a goatee and mustache.

That's Beda on the left in the photo.
As you can see. . . the Jefferson percussion section was not very well equipped. Beda used to bring his snare from home to "classy" up the section. His drum case is on the floor.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 04/29/2012 16:51:48
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  01:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Alright, I guess I'd better come clean on this one.

Here's a pic of ol' Donald R. Balk, whom I knew as the band/orchestra director at GAVIT H.S.;
I wasn't aware he also worked at Jefferson. In the spring of '67, Mr. Balk organized the Hammond Area
Youth Orchestra, which I joined as tympanist in March of '67.

This pic was taken onstage at the Whiting Community Center on Sunday, March 24, 1968.

No sign of the mustache and goatee.

And BELOW--the percussionist with the s____-eating grin on his face is none other than yours truly.
We had just finished a concert which included the first performance of a new work I had written, which
needed a GONG in the percussion section. So I borrowed the Morton H.S band's gong, which I lifted up onto
our percussion table so it would be visible in this photo; I'm holding the gong beater. What a weenie.

Balk was really cool in one respect: when I joined the Youth Orchestra in early '67, I asked him if
I could write an original work for the orchestra's spring concert; he immediately agreed, and I cranked
out some piece of dreck or other...which was premiered at our first concert on June 3, '67 at Gavit HS!
For the next two seasons ('68 and 69), Don Balk premiered new works of mine; two of the three were included
in our annual LP records, which I still have.
This experience was very helpful in my being accepted to study at the fancy Cleveland Institute of Music
in '69. And I owe it largely to Don Balk, a very enterprising and supportive guy.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/01/2012 18:35:23
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  01:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a matter of fact....

Here's a photo actually taken back-stage at the very first concert of the Hammond Area Youth Orchestra,
which Don Balk founded and conducted. The big night---onstage at Gavit H.S., Saturday, June 3rd, 1967.

At opposite ends of the photo: extreme left = Donald Balk, conductor; on the extreme right = L. Rapchak, tympanist.
----------------------------------------

Here's another view of the players: standing (right) is L.Rapchak (me), with a boutonniere pinned
to my lapel that a friend from Noll brought for me, since it was the first time a work I had written was performed in public.

The french horn player on the left (seated in front of the dude who's standing) is my late brother Mike.....you remember,
good old PRO2AM, the Sheptalk-er who started this Jefferson School thread.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/01/2012 15:38:57
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  18:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Larry,
I could swear that Mr. Balk had a beard & goatee. Maybe not though.

Me thinks he knew my heart wasn't into playing an instrument. I remember when we first were approached in 5th grade for the 6th grade band, he thought I should try the sax or trumpet.

I remember trying to blow into a mouthpiece for a trumpet, thought I was going to blow the top of my head off!
The sax/reed thing wasn't gunna work either. So I signed up for percussion.
Got stuck banging a bass for the entire year.

We did a concert at Gavit in the summer between 6th & 7th grades.
In the parking lot behind the school.

Greatest memory of that was playing "Hava Na Geela" (spelling?) a pretty upbeat tempo. . . took us about 5 minutes to complete.
But there I was. . .Haaaavaaaa. . . Ok Little Stevie hit that drum! BOOM! Naaaa. . . Geelaaaaa. . . Haaaavaaaa. . . again! Little Stevie! BOOM! Naaaa. . . Geelaaaaa
well, you get the picture. I don't even remember if my musical career lasted in to the 7th grade.

Once I realised my musical career was on the wain, I thought. . . what next?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/01/2012 18:15:25
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  18:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

The Balk-ster might have been in a "mod/beatnik" phase at Jefferson in '65,
(with mustache & goatee), which he might have
then grown out of by the time I met him in '67 at Gavit, when he was clean-shaven.

By the way, that-there hair you're sporting' in the color photo above is pretty "FAR OUT"
for a 10-year old Regionite kid in the mid-60's; didn't you get any hassle from your parents? I remember
a year LATER (in '66), my brother Mike---who was six years OLDER than you---
got into all sorts of confrontations with our parents when
he decided to wear his hair "Beatle/British Invasion" style on his forehead.

You must'a been a real trend-setter for the youngun's in Woodmar.

Larry

Yeah....what next in yer' performing career?

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/03/2012 03:54:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page