Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  19:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Does anyone here remember and/or did anyone attend Jefferson elementary school on Northcote Ave. in Woodmar? I went there for one year - 2nd grade (1956-57). A yonger brother and sister of mine also spent a couple of years there.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  12:14:32  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Many of my buddies went there. About 2 years ago I 'internetted' with Bruce Kitchell. He was in this group of Science/Math kids which met over on the Purdue campus. I will see if I can locate him. He was our only 'black' student. He's done a lot of work in Africaa nd has one daughter, I think. Might be with Conoco/Phillips. He used to say that he was just a Dark Scot.
Linda

Edited by - svea3 on 04/25/2007 12:32:45
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  12:37:03  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I found him. He's with an Africa Rescue group. I'll email him.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  19:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good old Jefferson School--opened in Fall of 1954. Here are two pics that I think are very cool.

This first one is me on my first day of school at Jefferson (kindergarten)--September 13, 1956. I'm standing
on our porch at 6912 Magoun (check out the shorts and cowboy boots), looking a bit apprehensive.
This pic has been in our family albums since the fall of '56.

Last month (June, 2011) I got together with my old Magoun neighbor and pal Steve Kush for dinner
and reminiscing at House of Pizza. While looking through his family album, I came across THIS picture:
his sister Bev on HER front porch on the SAME DAY, on the way to HER first day of kindergarten at Jefferson.

Bev and I were the same age (and supposedly "sweethearts"), and attended the same class at Jefferson.
These pics were taken at the SAME TIME --even the shadows of the porch railings show the same
angle of the sun's rays. Since the Kush's lived a mere TWO DOORS south of us, Bev and I walked together
to Jefferson (3 blocks to the west down 169th st) with our mothers, right after they had taken these respective photos.

This past March, I also had dinner with Bev, her husband and older sister Carolyn at H.O.P.; man, time sure does fly.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 20:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  21:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aw, Larry, that is just TOO COOL! I wish I had a picture of myself heading out to school for the first time.

Thanks for sharing these with us and by all means post some more pics from those days if you have any.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  09:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY Tom are you saying "You went to school".
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  14:10:47  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

HEY Tom are you saying "You went to school".

Yep. I got a good edukashun.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won the spellin' bee too. Huh?
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  23:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an original pic from summer of 1957 that my brother Mike took. Looking south on Magoun Ave (Woodmar)
from the sidewalk in front of our house. The Kush's house (see the pics above re: 1st day of school) is the
first house visible on the right.

Here's the same view, taken in September of 2004.

Yeah, the street looks more plush and lush in the recent photo---but I'd take life as it was in the
first pic ANY DAY.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 20:39:46
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  08:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same here, Lar, same here.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  10:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the memories that pics bring!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  00:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More pics from Magoun Ave on the way; stay tuned.

LR
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  23:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK-- ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR THIS? A special Sheptalk "UPDDATE"!

You've seen the pictures above of me and my neighbor Bev Kush leaving our respective homes for our first day
of Kindergarten, September 13, 1956.

Here I am, looking apprehensive:

And here I am, 55 years later...on the same porch, September 24, 2011.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 20:41:00
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  23:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AND HERE is sweet, little Beverly Kush, photographed on the same day, at the same time, on her way
to join me (and our moms) to walk to our first day of Kindergarten at Jefferson School, Sept 13, 1956:

And here she is again, on the very same porch, photographed on September 24, 2011....55 years and 11 days later.

How's THAT for reminiscing? Much more to follow.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 20:41:31
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  11:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not seeing the "now" pictures, Lar.
Go to Top of Page

cartoonguy

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  13:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What...no cowboy boots for the "now" shot?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  13:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem must be on your end, Tom. I'm getting them and it looks like the others are too. Very cool pix, by the way...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  14:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I was using Firefox and could not see the pics but I opened Internet Explorer and am now able to see them.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  14:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool pics, Lar!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Larry. How about even the same porch railings on both houses that were there 55 years ago?

Edited by - wvcogs on 09/26/2011 17:44:13
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  17:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

Yep; the railings are the very same ones.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  07:24:31  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!, are you both still living in the same houses?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  15:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry! We had a great time Saturday, didn't we? And as you said "There's more to come!" One thing we forgot to point out, the evergreen(s) in the pictures of Bev are the same! I don't remember any body ever trimming them, I know I never did! Don't remember my mother ever doing it either. The railings & porch/steps are the originals at both homes too. The shingles are also the originals, but have been painted many times since 1956.

Go ahead a use your pics for further posts. I'm not sure when I'll see the ones Carol took.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  15:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOB---

No; Steve Kush lives in St. John, and his sister Bev lives in Illinois; I live in Whiting. We decided to turn this into an afternoon "project", and met on Magoun Ave to shoot the pics.

We took the first pic on "my" old porch, hoping not to arouse suspicion and a visit from the local cops. Steve/Bev's house is currently occupied by their cousin, who teaches science at Hammond High...so approval to use their old porch was not a problem.

By the way, we ended up taking more pictures on Saturday, which we'll be posting here on Sheptalk....some very cool "then and now" things that I'm sure you guys (and gals) will enjoy.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:25:29  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the two pictures looking down the street. They better be very careful because someone stole the fire hydrant.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

I was just looking at the two pictures looking down the street. They better be very careful because someone stole the fire hydrant.

Good observation Bob! Actually, the city moved it closer to the street. It's still there, just not in that picture.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's a cool photo from the ol' Rapchak/Kush Archives:
It's "NAP-TIME" during Kindergarten at Jefferson School, captured by a Times photographer in October 1956. Bev Kush is the little girl
on the oval-shaped rug right at the corner of the phonograph, while I am further back, indentified by the blue arrow drawn on the pic
by my mother---just in case nobody would recognize me.

I remember that the little blonde girl in the plaid skirt on the left was a real apple-polisher, and maneuvered to
get herself a spot upfront, close to the photographer.

I had this chintzy thin rug that my mother dyed a kind of pink color;NO WAY could I get comfortable on that hard floor! Ms. Barr, who wore the ol' regulation-issue slate-blue uniform every day, was in charge of the musical program. Since my dad was in radio we had plenty of records around the house, and I would occasionally bring one of them to class. I clearly remember bringing the miniature hard-plastic yellow "GOLDEN RECORDS" version
of the Card's Marching Song from Disney's "Alice in Wonderland", which Ms. Barr canned after a few seconds since it was too noisy and not
conducive to slumber

Here is the SAME ROOM ---our good old Kindergarten classroom at Jefferson, photographed with my cell-phone in July of 2005, a few days
before the building was demolished. It's the very same space you see in the Times photo, but was shot looking in the opposite direction (I was
standing approximately in the same place where I was sleeping back in '56, looking towards where Ms. Barr was seated; the spot where
she was sitting in the old photo was right about where that staircase-like thing is lying on the floor in the 2005 pic below).

It's odd how every place you visit as an adult seems much
smaller that it did when you were young; standing in the Kindergarten
room in 2005 was exactly the opposite---the room seemed much
BIGGER than I remembered it.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 20:43:19
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  23:09:08  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would not have recognized you, Larry, had it not been for that blue arrow.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  07:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could tell who it was by the socks...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  09:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

I could tell who it was by the socks...Cj

Oh, I'd recognize the shape of that head anywhere!

You guys are doing a great job with the memories!

Was the candy, Now n Later, one you had a lot of in your youth? (I only remember that candy because of my niece and nephews, and I think they are of the
same generation as most of you. The name came to mind as "Now and Then", so
I had to look it up.

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/25/2011 09:30:58
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  13:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC--

I think that's my rear-end, not my head.

I never heard of Now and Then candy, so I checked it out. It was
introduced in '62, and somehow escaped me. I do remember that the
notorious FIZZIES were new around the time I was in kindergarten,
and sure enough---they were introduced in summer of 1957, right
after I got out of Jefferson. Fizzies were pretty awful (remember the
Root Beer flavor?-- gag!). They were made by the same company
that manufactured Bromo Seltzer.

LR
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  01:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, EVERYBODY--- CHECK IT OUT.

I'm in the Hammond Library's historical room this past Tuesday, looking through their old photo files. There was a file labeled
"WILSON" that contained about 15 miscellaneous unidentified 8x10's that someone couldn't identify and had ASSUMED
were taken at the Woodrow Wilson School on 173rd.

So I start pawing through these pics...and here's the first thing I found:

COMPARE IT WITH THE OLD YELLOWED TIMES PHOTO a few posts above this one---this pic was taken
at the SAME SESSION in October of '56 at JEFFERSON SCHOOL, during our "nap time"--complete with Miss Barr and her phonograph,
and Bev Kush, me, and the rest of the kiddies pretending to be asleep for the camera. I almost fell outta' my chair when I saw this.

WHAT'RE THE ODDS IN THIS HAPPENING??

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/26/2011 01:08:59
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  22:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The First of Several Cool Photos of Jefferson School that I found (most were mis-filed) in the Hammond Library:

I'm guessing this is from CHRISTMAS of 1955, maybe '54 ~ probably the final day of school before
CHRISTMAS vacation. The teacher, Betty Yamada (right) leads the Kindergarten kids in a CHRISTMAS sing-along around the
class CHRISTMAS tree; on the extreme right edge of the pic, you can see part of the old classroom piano, which I'm sure
Ms. Barr (the co-teacher, seen in the "sleepy-time" pics above) was sitting at, playing CHRISTMAS carols.

Though Bev Kush and I were in the Kindergarten class in '56 (more about that in future pics on this thread), I recognize
the type of ORNAMENTS on the tree in this pic that my class made in '56, especially the paper fold-and-cut
Japanese lanterns (which Mrs Yamada would have taught us) and the
hanging garland, which was made by alternating little tin-foil
squares, tiny pieces of drinking straws, and something else--maybe
popcorn. Also, those round, white doily things. When school let out for Christmas break, we got to take
all of the decorations we made home with us, for our own tree; my family kept my garland around for decades,
until it disintegrated. The lanterns were really cool, but didn't last long.

My dad became friends with Mrs. Yamada's husband Tom, who was an avid jazz fan; in recent years, Mr. Yamada--now
a widower--- became an avid "groupie" (the oldest, no doubt) of my brother Phil's band NOMAD PLANETS.

And here's a cell-phone pic of the SAME PORTION of the Jefferson Kindergarten room that is seen in the Christmas pic above,
where the tree was set up along the SOUTH wall; the cell-phone pic shows the southwest corner of the same room, taken in
July, 2005, as the building was being demolished:

On April 1, 2006, Mr Yamada attended my dad's wake and funeral, and
later that summer I called Mr. Y and we met for lunch at the Big Wheel (he ALSO live on Magoun Ave, 7200 block). He was a terrifically nice man, good-humored and self-deprecating, and well-loved by the staff at the restaurant. After lunch, I went out to my car to get something that I wanted to leave with Mr. Yamada as a souvenir, but wasn't sure if he'd appreciate it or not. It was a small piece of brick and a few small tiles that I had salvaged from the Jefferson Kindergarten walls when I was walking through the wreckage in '05. I caught him just as he was leaving the restaurant, and gave him the stuff--sort of as a remembrance of his late wife and all of the years she had spent teaching us kids at good old Jefferson back in the glorious mid-50's. He seemed really moved by it. Shortly after, I understand he was moved to a nursing home.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/21/2011 14:20:05
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  22:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I JUST REALIZED---

When our 1956 Kindergarten class made the same CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS that are visible in the big classroom
pic above, we took them home to hang on our own family's tree
AND.....

Here They Are:

THAT'S THEM!

The white paper Japanese lantern is hanging on the upper-left, and the round doily-thing is on the lower-right;
we made them in class, hung them on the big classroom tree, then got to take them home for our own tree
on the last day of school. Definitely a part of the thrill Christmas that year!

LR

ALSO---most of the ornaments you see on our family tree in this photo---the very same ones--are now hanging
from the flourescent light shade in my basement studio where I am typing this message right now.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/23/2011 22:13:23
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  22:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Cool Picture!
Looks like Mike has already "shot" down your fly-by-wire- airplane!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  01:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I AM KIDDING YOU NOT.......

But these hanging ornaments, which I just photographed in my basement studio about 2 hours ago

are ALL HANGING ON THE CHRISTMAS TREE in the 1956 PHOTO ABOVE; NOT reproductions, NOT duplicates
from E-Bay, but THE VERY SAME ORNAMENTS.

The red and green tin-foil garland is also on the tree in '56.

IT's TRUE.

(the little lamp in the far background under the painting on the wall is my computer station
at which I am now writing and posting).

STEVE---the wire-controlled thing in my hand in the '56 photo operated the ROBOT; the plane was a separate item.
I wanted to deliver this earth-shattering news now so you wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/24/2011 01:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  10:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHEW! that's good! About the robot I mean!
No casualties from the downed airplane 'cept maybe the pilot!
Or did he bail out before the crash?

We have quite a few ornaments from Mom's collection. Dawn has them on our tree in the living room.
At one point in time when the boys were younger,
we had 5 trees up each year!
2 large ones, one with our ornaments, the other with Mom's old ornaments
3 smaller trees, each a different theme
Star Trek/space, Pepsi with Pepsi figurines around it (It's up currently) and a sports tree (also up).
Which in this home equates to Cubs and Bears with some Purdue ornaments mixed in.

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/27/2011 10:48:52
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  13:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Larry,

What's the story of the cool sun-glassed half-moon on the wall?

S C
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  01:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S.C.,

Not much of a story, but here's an "artsy" pic I just did of not only
the Moon, but of his pal Howdy Doody as well:

These are both sponge-rubber faces that you can operate by sticking
your fingers in the back of them and scrunching them; pretty lame
idea, even though the design of both is really cool. I bought them
sometime in the late '80's...can't remember where (maybe "Toys 'R
Us"). This was around the time that MacDonald's was using the piano-
playing, Moon-headed dude as a promo; I think he sang "Mack the Knife" in their commericals.

Anyway, I keep them on the studio wall. Also in the pic are a great
cardboard Totem Pole from a set of 4 Western-figure wall hangings from the Dolly Toy Company,
Tipp City, Ohio
(1950), a Wizard of Oz glass that came filled with peanut butter and became a drinking glass
once it was empty (from 1956, the year of the big theatrical re-release of the film), plus the Bowman milk bottle
I used in the kitchen scenes of last year's "Nuttin' for Christmas" video.

The "Oz" glass is a recent purchase, tho' we had the original back in the '50's when it first came out.
The Totem Pole is the original.

In the middle is a funky billiard-design lamp, from the same recent catalogue as the western lamp on my piano.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/09/2012 03:17:13
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  08:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the explanation and new pic Larry.

The Howdy Doody head is priceless, and I thought I had seen the moon dude before, but could not remember.

Was Bowman a Hammond company or did they just have a distribution point
from which they delivered to homes? There have been posts about Borden's but, few if any about Bowman. It was the Bowman milk man who would give us a brief ride down the street and give us big slivers of clear ice in the summer. Their trucks were not as square, boxy as Borden's.
Well, I just answered my own question--During the 1920s, it opened large bottling plants on the South Side. By the middle of the 1930s, Bowman employed over 3,000 Chicago-area residents. The company continued to carry on a large business until 1966, when it was purchased by a local rival, the Dean Foods Co. See also Dean Milk Co.

BTW, your Christmas decorations are nostalgia city. I see decorations of that kind in antique stores down here in TN. I have not bought any, but sometimes you can find a complete set, like new and in the box.

Thanks again for sharing from you stash of memorabilia.

SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/28/2011 08:49:30
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  10:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

a Wizard of Oz glass that came filled with peanut butter

Here's a series of somewhat related thoughts for a lazy Wednesday morning: The Wizard of Oz was released originally in 1939. The star of the movie was Judy Garland. My wife, Judy, was born in 1941. She graduated from Morton in 1959. The most popular girl's name in her class was Judy.
Oh well...
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  08:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Christmas ornaments, Does anyone remember the Santa or the Snowman plastic guys that had a bag over their back which carried several suckers? The candy counter at Minas used to sell these?
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  03:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF YOU SCROLL UP A BIT TO THE PICTURE of the Moon and Howdy Doody heads under the lamp, you'll see a very cool
TOTEM POLE hanging on the wall to the right. It was part of a set of 4 Western wall-hangings made of thick cardboard
and covered with paper art-work/design.

Below is a pic from April of '54...a few months BEFORE we moved to Magoun (we were still in our house on
Hoffmann St in North Hammond). Our mother is attempting to read Mike and I to sleep. On the wall is the set of figures:

on the right, an Indian Chief with peace-pipe, a little campfire, a young cowboy who has just tried
his first puff of the peace-pipe, AND--ON THE LEFT--the beautifully designed totem pole.

THE TOTEM POLE THAT'S IN THE LAMP PICTURE POSTED ABOVE IS THE SAME ONE---
[b]THE ORIGINAL
that you see in this '54 bedtime photo. Been in the family a LONG time.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/09/2012 03:14:05
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  19:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a few
photos from my school daze at Jefferson.
I went there from k thru 6th grade. I got a few memories of that place too.
Kindergarten:
The class they put you in with games & toys to make you think school's not gonna be that bad!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S SOMETHING OF EARTH-SHATTERING IMPORTANCE...

It's ANOTHER photo from the same October, 1956 session in my Kindergarten class in Jefferson, during our nap time,
which I dug up at the Hammond Library. It's similar, but different from the two pics posted above.

The photographer was really having a field day, snapping away was we all lay there pretending to be asleep.

Now here's a coincidence: I'm putting away my old Christmas LP records recently, and I spot the following: in the old days,
the backs of the record jackets used to feature pictures of OTHER albums that the company was advertising. So on the back
of a favorite old album from 1955, here's what caught my eye:

Look familiar?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/17/2012 23:45:39
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AHA!--either the Kinder teacher sent it home with you because she KNEW your
mother needed it to get you to nap, OR, your mother went to the teacher and
pleaded with her to tell the secret to getting little rapscallions to nap. OR,
a rapscallion of Magoun confiscated the album on the last day of class.....
Hmmmmm. The rapscallion would have been thinking of himself as a Robin
Hood--no more kinder would have to listen to the mood soothing nap music
that took their strength and dazed them for minutes at a time.

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/18/2012 10:09:13
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

AHA!--either the Kinder teacher sent it home with you because she KNEW your
mother needed it to get you to nap, OR, your mother went to the teacher and
pleaded with her to tell the secret to getting little rapscallions to nap. OR,
a rapscallion of Magoun confiscated the album on the last day of class.....
Hmmmmm. The rapscallion would have been thinking of himself as a Robin
Hood--no more kinder would have to listen to the mood soothing nap music
that took their strength and dazed them for minutes at a time.

SC
I'm betting on option "C"!
Trying to protect his little sister, a few years down the road!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  14:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

AHA!--either the Kinder teacher sent it home with you because she KNEW your mother needed it to get you to nap, OR, your mother went to the teacher and pleaded with her to tell the secret to getting little rapscallions to nap. OR, a rapscallion of Magoun confiscated the album on the last day of class.....Hmmmmm. The rapscallion would have been thinking of himself as a Robin Hood--no more kinder would have to listen to the mood soothing nap music that took their strength and dazed them for minutes at a time.
SC
I'm betting on option "C"!
Trying to protect his little sister, a few years down the road!

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Thanks to all who participated in our quiz.
----------------------------
Actually, the little scan of the "Relaxation" album above is NOT from the actual album itself, but from a
miniature pic of it printed on the back of one of a (full-size) Christmas album from the same era. I'm not sure
that we actually had a copy of the Relaxation album in the house.

However, I would guess that my dad--who thanks to his radio gig brought home DJ/promotional records
by the truckload---donated the album seen on the floor to Jefferson for their collection.

But the whole "nap-time" event on this day was pointless; we were all lying there wide-awake
pretending to be asleep while the photographer walked around trying not to step on our heads.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/18/2012 23:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  14:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin' back,
"Nap Time" was more for the teachers to catch their breath, don't cha think?
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...HERE'S SOMETHING REALLY COOL:

I'm looking through the Hammond Library archives in November, and I come across some 8x10's that are mis-filed under
"Wilson School", start looking through them and come FACE-TO-FACE WITH MYSELF, 55 YEARS AGO, in
Jefferson's Kindergarten room during the '56-57 school year---AND BEV KUSH IS IN THE PIC, TOO!!! (that's Lil' Stevie's sister).

That's me, the goof-ball with the puffed-up cheek, and Bev on the right; we're spellbound by a frog.

I'm sure that Bev and I were considered to be Valentine's sweethearts that year, so I'm posting this as a
belated Valentine greeting to her...a little late (c'mon...only 55 years). (Steve: see if you can
twist her arm to check out this thread.....there's more to come).

I tell ya', THAT trip to the Hammond Library was definitely worth it!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/18/2012 23:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  00:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the other boy
but I'm sure the girl is Sally Witulski from down the block.
Her dad is the one who would freeze their backyard for ice skating.
LS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page