The Great American 4th of July
 4th of July
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Ron

1 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  00:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old VHS copy from the original American Playhouse broadcast in 1982. Can anyone help me get a clean copy, I see it's not for sale-what a shame! We watch it nealy every year on the 4th.
Thanks, Ron

cgn37vet

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  15:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found someone selling it, wanda hickey and phantom of the open hearth online but they are copies too but on dvd or vhs. Not the greatest but watchable .
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  05:08:27  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have seven full videos of Shep's TV work. Write for complete listing.
All 13 Jean Shepherd's America 2nd season, 4th, Josephine, Phantom, etc.
mschmid@rcn.com
Go to Top of Page

Bob

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  15:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see The Great 4th or any of Shep's other PBS movies again. Does anyone have the ability to make a copy for me?
Go to Top of Page

jclavin

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  19:13:08  Show Profile  Visit jclavin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the post from sheptapes right above yours
Go to Top of Page

lump516

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  03:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was my first exposure to anything having to do with Jean Shepherd; I laughed myself silly with this one--I particularly remember Our Narrator discussing the Old Man's love of onions; "to him, a good onion was the equivalent of a sexual experience." I am probably paraphrasing, but that line has always stuck in my head--that and Ralphie suddenly realizing that "I was THE BLIND DATE!!"
Go to Top of Page

Betty

1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  14:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Great American Fourth of July. The cast was wonderful. Do you remember the part about the "washcloth chain letter"? Ralphie's Mom received this huge bag of washcloths because she was part of a chain letter, and I remember one of the names of another person in this chain letter was "Mrs. Y.Y. Flurch of Fishagon Michigan." (pronounced Fishagan Michigan) The look on the Old Man's face is priceless as he watches his wife pull out cloth after cloth.

By the way, the part of Ralphie was played by Matt Dillon.
Go to Top of Page

fudge

16 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  06:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see these-I have dozens of tapes from the 80's-seems like i taped ebverything i watched back then-but soemhow i wasnt aware of sheps' shows...what a shame

and Matt Dillon's a fine, underrated actor...just cant see him as ralphie...
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  01:59:07  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Betty

I love the Great American Fourth of July. The cast was wonderful. Do you remember the part about the "washcloth chain letter"? Ralphie's Mom received this huge bag of washcloths because she was part of a chain letter, and I remember one of the names of another person in this chain letter was "Mrs. Y.Y. Flurch of Fishagon Michigan." (pronounced Fishagan Michigan) The look on the Old Man's face is priceless as he watches his wife pull out cloth after cloth.

This entire concept was an homage to (aka "stolen" from) Paul Rhymer, who wrote the radio serial "Vic and Sade". Sadie was always going off to Yamelton's Department Store for the big washrag sales. Y. Y. Flirch was a member of Victor R. Gook's lodge, "The Sacred Stars of the Milky Way", as was Rish Fish of Siss, Mich, as young son Rush called him.

On the radio, other Vic and Sade references were the name of Vic's boss, Mr Bullard, being applied to any boss; references to Dismal Seepage, Ohio; and most commonly, the use of such made up Latin phrases as "In Hoc Agricula Conk". These were also thrown around liberally in Vic and Sade, and were taken from the Sacred Stars manuals. Rhymer made up new ones all the time - Shep basically stuck to the one above, or a small variation (In Hoc Spittle Louk being another).
Go to Top of Page

Chel

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  18:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron

I have an old VHS copy from the original American Playhouse broadcast in 1982. Can anyone help me get a clean copy, I see it's not for sale-what a shame! We watch it nealy every year on the 4th.
Thanks, Ron

I have a DVD version that also contains The Star Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski (sp?) It only took me about 20 years to find. It is really great quality...the only problem is you have to fast forward through Star Crossed to watch 4th of July. I'm pretty sure it can be burnt onto another DVD- it looks like data files.(Haven't tried yet)
Go to Top of Page

Chel

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  18:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I would love to see The Great 4th or any of Shep's other PBS movies again. Does anyone have the ability to make a copy for me?

I have a DVD of 4th of July and Star Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski (together). I think it can be burnt onto another DVD..they are only data files. Great Quality.
Go to Top of Page

DaveH

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  23:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a copy, Video or DVD of The Phantom of the open hearth? I have looked everywhere!! I love that movie.
hamiltonkrewe@msn.com

Go to Top of Page

jcpo

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  22:04:29  Show Profile  Visit jcpo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also have DVD copies of the Great 4th and Josephine Cosnowski that I'd be glad to share. Check out my website at www.chapot.org/videos.html .

Someone who obtained this DVD is apparently auctioning copies on eBay. When you think about it, auctions are based upon the idea that the item is scarce. In reality it is possible to make unlimited duplicates of a non-protected DVD. Buyer beware!

Cheers!

Edited by - jcpo on 08/26/2006 14:41:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page