Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the picture it looks like Alabama Avenue went through to the south from 169th in the late 1950s; but I don't remember that. A friend of mine lived in the 6900 block of Alabama. To get to his house in 1958-1960, I would go from Kennedy to Alabama on 170th and north on Alabama. His house would have been next to the one on the left in the above photo, but much older, probably 1920 vintage.

It looks like my senior citizen memory is failing again. Do you have any ideas about Alabama being open through to 169th from the south earlier in the '50s than this photo.

Thanks.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN,

I think the street that went through was NOT Alabama, but Arizona.

The map shows the little triangular lot where Subway now sits and that, in my
memory is where the Conoco Station was. When we walked the tracks from
our Grand Park neighborhood to go to Hessville (Ace Theater) we would get
off the tracks at the Arizona crossing, walk 169th to Kennedy to cross at the
light.

Your memory is (to my mind) correct regarding Alabama not going up to 169th from the South. My memory is that neither Arizona nor Alabama were through streets to 169th--but as you have suggested, memory fades.

We, of course, have the advantage of being a bit older than the whippersnappers from MaGoun Ave; there may have been changes by the time they were old enough to roam Hessville.

I wonder if the Hessville Cemetary/Potter's Field (now called Lake County Cemetary} may have been an obstacle in the earlier days--as well as the RR having some say regarding crossings--Oh, the every-block whistle of the freight trains as they rolled across Hessville, I will never forget.

SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/11/2012 11:45:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  14:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure
that's not a 6 pak of Pepsi?

The graphics on the carton remind me of the Pepsi cartons of the early 60's. Kinda yellow with stripes on the side.
Like these:

Weird thing?
A woman & girl walking down the street?
I was gonna suggest that it was . . .uhhh. . . a certain brother combination in drag.
Now that would have been weird!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 07/25/2012 08:38:46
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  15:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

KEN,

The street is not Arizona. I lived on Arizona...Cj
The map shows the little triangular lot where Subway now sits and that, in my
memory is where the Conoco Station was. When we walked the tracks from
our Grand Park neighborhood to go to Hessville (Ace Theater) we would get
off the tracks at the Arizona crossing, walk 169th to Kennedy to cross at the
light.

Your memory is (to my mind) correct regarding Alabama not going up to 169th from the South. My memory is that neither Arizona nor Alabama were through streets to 169th--but as you have suggested, memory fades.

We, of course, have the advantage of being a bit older than the whippersnappers from MaGoun Ave; there may have been changes by the time they were old enough to roam Hessville.

I wonder if the Hessville Cemetary/Potter's Field (now called Lake County Cemetary} may have been an obstacle in the earlier days--as well as the RR having some say regarding crossings--Oh, the every-block whistle of the freight trains as they rolled across Hessville, I will never forget.

SC

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  15:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

Are you sure
that's not a 6 pak of Pepsi?

It was not Pepsi. It was Coke...Trust me...Cj

The graphics on the carton remind me of the Pepsi cartons of the early 60's. Kinda yellow with stripes on the side.
Like these:

Weird thing?
A woman & girl walking down the street?
I was gonna suggest that it was . . .uhhh. . . a certain brother combination in drag.
Now that would have been weird!
LS

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  15:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GUYS--

SC--Since the SUBWAY building was FABULOUS HOT DOG, I don't get how the Conoco station could have been located on that small lot. Am I missing something here?

STEVE--NO WAY--it was a giant 6-pack of Coke; you can clearly see the name standing on end on the side panel.
If SC would ever come clean again with that mystery pic, you'd see.

But, Steve...Pepsi logos, Rapchak brothers, Beach Boys...jeez, you see and hear em' everywhere!

-------------------------
WHEN I ARRIVED IN HESSVILLE in Spring of '62, BOTH Arizona and Albama went through to 169th.

When heading north on ALABAMA and trying to make a turn onto 169th in icy/snowy weather, you'd sit on that steep incline, burning up your clutch trying to get some traction, while waiting for the cross-traffic to clear. The muddy, chassis-filled backlot of Roddin' Angels club was directly on your right side.

ARIZONA was also a straight shot through to 169th, heading north across the tracks, with the cemetery on your right.

Prior to '62 I wouldn't know. The guy who might be able to shed some light here would be Mark "Test Pattern", who lived right there.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/11/2012 22:24:11
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  18:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

But, Steve...Pepsi logos, Rapchak brothers, Beach Boys...jeez, you see and hear em' everywhere!

LR

Well Larry,
Just a sub-conscience reaction to the ingrained impressions of my toddler/pre-school memories, that I treasure to this day!

Still waitin' for that "Picture of Proof" that it was not
"PEPSI" but the "C" word on that building.
(Must be why I don't remember the "carton on the roof" though. Mom would have made us "Cover your eyes" as we passed it!)
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/11/2012 18:54:17
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, it was Coca Cola. I'm an eyewitness to the proof.
Sorry LS.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  17:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ

you win!

SC
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  19:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

CJ

you win!

SC

God Bless!! God bless you all and thank you all!!

I especially want to thank my producer, my mother, Sister Mary Mildew, my mechanic..............................................................................................
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  12:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My folks bought our home in the 6800 block of Alabama in 1949. Originally, BOTH Alabama AND Arizona went through 169th Street.

Hessville Lumber was on Kennedy. At some point the Lumber Yard purchased the lot east of Alabama and west of Shipman's, and the City vacated that part Alabama for the lumber yard's private use, and Alabama became a dead end. Alabama must have been closed by the mid 1950s, as we had to walk up to Martha and east to Arizona to go south to OLPH. The 1952 city directory still shows both streets as intersections.

I had mentioned this before in the "Hessville Lumber" topic talking about the lumber yard fire. There is a satellite photo/map under that topic, (that I won't paste again,) but still does show remnants of the old paving that would have been Alabama.

Heading north on Alabama, there was a steep incline up to 169th Street, as Larry "HBS" indicated. A real challenge for a newbie with a stick transmission to negotiate. But Alabama was the short cut to avoid north-bound Arizona so you didn't have to cross the tracks twice, once on Arizona and again on 169th, if you were headed west. Remember, Arizona was the first street that you could head north on since Parrish, due to the cemetery and the undeveloped land, and Alabama was the option to avoid Arizona or busy Kennedy.

The building in the earlier photo, identified for "Roddin' Angels," later housed Griffith Laboratories, I think. They used to sell chemicals, needed for those all important chemistry experiments of our youth. The ground along the west side of this building was so steep, if you walked up to the south corner of the building, you could easily get on to the roof, not that any kid would actually do that. I am not sure when this building was constructed, as the 1952 city directory appears to indicate the lot as vacant.

The photo also shows something interesting. East of Conkey Cleaners there are two parked cars. You can see a concrete block retaining wall that the cars parked up to. I have a distinct memory of concrete stairs going from the parking area down to the alley - you can also see the stairs in the photo. I had always wondered if the block retaining walls were remains from a building, or if the block wall was built just as a retaining wall. Does anyone have any recollection of another building there?
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  13:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TESTPATTERN WROTE:

Hessville Lumber was on Kennedy. At some point the Lumber Yard purchased the lot east of Alabama and west of Shipman's, and the City vacated that part Alabama for the lumber yard's private use, and Alabama became a dead end. Alabama must have been closed by the mid 1950s, as we had to walk up to Martha and east to Arizona to go south to OLPH. The 1952 city directory still shows both streets as intersections.
------------------------------------

Thank you Testpattern for some clarity regarding the Alabama/Arizona info.

SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/13/2012 13:59:05
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  03:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TEST P---

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFO; VERY HELPFUL. I KNEW YOU'D BE ABLE TO
NAIL IT.

CAN"T HELP YOU WITH THE RETAINING WALL/STAIRS/BUILDING QUESTION. THE
WHOLE AREA AROUND THE PARKED CARS SEEMS TO BE FRAMED BY SOME SORT OF
WALL/BRICK-WORK; MAYBE THE LOT DID CONTAIN A BUILDING AT ONE POINT.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  23:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to neglect the Hessville area, so here's a pair of "THEN and NOW" pics of
173rd Street looking WEST from a viewpoint just EAST of Parrish Ave.

This first oldie was in the Hammond Library's Historical Room files:

There's the old Caldwell School on the right, and a pretty rough-lookin' wilderness everywhere else; probably 1955-56.

And here's the same view, from April, 2012.

Doug Paris' famous barber shop is just off-camera on the right (it had just opened when we moved to Hessville
50 years ago, in March of 1962. And who was the owner at the time? None other than our old pal Floyd Darnell,
our barber from Magoun Avenue whose shop was on the corner of 169th and Magoun. He decided to relocate to Hessville
into a bigger space, and hired Doug Paris to work for him.

LR

PS. Hey, Stevie...where's those PEPSI logos that you deleted from the posts above?? Sure looks bare without them...

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/21/2012 23:56:02
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  14:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S ANOTHER HESSVILLE "Then & Now" pair ~

From the Hammond Library's Historical Room, a shot of 171st street looking east towards Osborn Ave (and Kennedy);
the train tracks are in the distance. Notice that very distinctive house with the big stone bricks (a dark greyish
color) on the right side:

And here it is today: (with a big tank car sitting across the tracks in the background)--

THERE'S AN INTERESTING SIDELIGHT to all of these 1955-56 street shots that I've posted here
and on the "Magoun Avenue Memories" thread (McCauley's store, Tapper Ave & 173rd, etc): All of the pics
(and there's a bunch MORE of them on file at the library) were professional quality 8x10's that were
intended to be a SET; each of them had a piece of tan masking tape stuck on the lower right-hand corner
with sloppy writing in ball-point pen; the caption on the photo above read:

"They are not my children" (referring to the juvies who are walking in the street).

I seems that the person who shot all of these pics was on a MISSION of some sort to document the shoddy
condition of Hammond Streets; all of the pics show roads that either needed repair or had no curbs or sidewalks;
I guess it was part of a safety effort to get the city's attention. Apparently, the whole set of pics was donated
to the library with the captions still intact (but which I have cut out when I did these scans).

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/23/2012 14:22:49
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  02:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, guys, been away for [looking at watch] six months or so...what can I say, I've been swamped with work. But tonight I suddenly got the urge to check back in at sheptalk and see what's been happening. I've enjoyed catching up on the various threads...good stuff.
I wanted to post a particular memory of the corner of Alabama and 169th from my adolescence. Larry and Mark have mentioned the effect of entering 169th from the hill on Alabama, and its effect on your clutch. Well, from a kid's perspective, the hill's reputation was born from traversing it in the opposite direction. If one was tearing down 169th from Kennedy on a bicycle heading east, a quick turn onto Alabama was straight out of a thrill ride. That location was known as "Dead Man's Curve" for bike riders. The combination of the sharp turn, the steep decline, and the notoriously loose gravel coating the roadway could be a recipe for disaster for the inexperienced! Many strawberries, lost teeth, and fractured limbs were claimed by the DMC!

Hey, what's all this about a picture of some past legendary event that was mysteriously removed? Something involving a beverage...
More, please!

Craig

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  14:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig--

Great to hear from you once again; hope you are doing well.

Things have been pretty slow here, as you can see, but the stories and photos have been as good as ever.
I've got a few more things to post on the "OLPH SCHOOL" thread, which I'll do soon, including a classic
1970 potrait of Bill and Granny Grauvogl, OLPH's legendary husand-and-wife janitorial duo. The pic is from
the parish's directory, which features groups shots of the OLPH families of the day (including the Lannin,
Rapchak and Mosca clans).

Incidentally, the recipe for those classic, to-die-for PORK TACOS from Hessville's
FABULOUS HOT-DOGhas apparently survived and has been posted on the
Planet Hammond website a couple of times. Seems that a former worker at the place copied it down
and saved it.

That's very good news for all of us former Hessville-ites.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/18/2012 14:28:29
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  10:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LegulusQ

Hey, guys, been away for [looking at watch] six months or so...
Craig
WELCOME HOME, Craig!
I've been absent for a few weeks due to computer problems.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page