Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  22:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

I'm sure that's it.

There are a lot of excellent 8x10 photos in the Hammond Library that show street scenes in South Hammond and Hessville, and this is one of them.

Some of the pics have a piece of masking tape stuck onto the lower right corner of each, and someone then wrote a caption in ball-point pen on the tape. This one said "corner of Kennedy and 165th". I told Mr. Lytle I was sure it was 169th, but he responded "it says 165th!" So I left it at that.

I went out a few days ago to capture a current view of this same shot, but had a tough time locating it exactly.
I tried matching up the street lamps and telephone poles, but wasn't sure I was correct. Problem is that the buildings along the EAST (left-hand) side of Kennedy have changed so much they're hard to recognize.

When you have a chance, can you check your '54 and '56 city directories, and see if you can identify the businesses
in the pic? The sign behind the parked cars says "JIM" with the big word HESSVILLE below it. The word "BEER" on the extreme left may be part of the "Drive-In" (Drift Inn) building on the Southwest corner of the intersection. Across the street you can make out the words "FOOD MART" on a building.

I'd be interetsed to see what you find; I'd do it myself but I'm
too lazy to go to the library to check their directories.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/06/2012 22:43:26
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great pic!! Looking right above the hood of the car, you can see the neon sign in the window and it does say "Drift Inn".
Why does someone always stand right in the way or park a vehicle right in a key spot on a pic. If that damn truck was 3 inches to the right it would help, but I'm sure it says "Jim Starkey's"......
"Hessville Tap" was owned by Jim Starkey and George Wimmer when I knew the place. I don't know if Starkey had it first and then Wimmer came in afterward or what, but it is Hessville Tap in the photo.
Early on it was known as J&J Tap. Jim was a fireman in the 50's-60s and passed away only 4 or 5 years ago...Cj
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  09:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Someone on a Facebook group said Jack's closed recently.
Ken
The old "Jack's" location is now occupied by Venice Pizza. I drove by it a few month's ago after dining at Freddy's. Freddy's has an active bar scene, with older folk a mature crowd - LIKE US!
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

When you have a chance, can you check your '54 and '56 city directories, and see if you can identify the businesses
in the pic? The sign behind the parked cars says "JIM" with the big word HESSVILLE below it. The word "BEER" on the extreme left may be part of the "Drive-In" (Drift Inn) building on the Southwest corner of the intersection. Across the street you can make out the words "FOOD MART" on a building.

Larry

Larry, et al -
From the directories, all posted courtesy of Ken, it shows
for 1948
6907 - Reginald R. Graham, liquors
6919 - Michael L. Rehtorik, tavern
6934 - Triple J Food Mart
for 1952
6907 - Mrs. Emma Fowler
6919 - Michael L. Rehtorik, tavern
for 1954
6907 - Mrs. Emma Fowler, liquors
6919 - Mrs. Tillie Rehtorik, tavern
for 1956
6907 - Mrs. Emma Fowler, liquors
6919 - Hessville Tavern, James Cantrell
for 1964
6907 - Calumet Drive-In Liquors Inc.
6919 - Jim & Irene's Tavern, James Cantrell
6934 - Alexander Realty

I think the photo shows an ampersand after the word Jim (partially blocked by the truck,) meaning Jim & Irene's Hessville Tavern, so the photo is probably circa 1956. And YES, looking south on Kennedy from 169th Street.

In 1956, Triple J had 6 apartments. On the west side of the street heading south from Triple J to 170th, there would have been
6940 - Sharon Mae Variety Store
6942 - Peter M. Stefano (probably where the post office was built)
Jimmy's Feed Store, not in the photo, would have been at 6930.

The Brumm's distributor Hamm's Beer truck in front of the Hessville Tap is great.

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  11:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another comment to tag on to TestPattern's information about the photo of Kennedy Avenue from 169th.

I believe the white truck in the distance on the west side is parked in front of the post office building. The post office is not listed in the 1956 directory; but both 6940 (Sharon Mae's) and 6946 (the post office) are listed as under construction in the 1954 directory with Peter Stefano's house (6942) between the two. In a 1964 Top Hat yearbook ad photo of Sharon Mae's, the old house at 6942 still appears between the store and post office.

The post office that was under construction at 6946 in 1954 is listed at 6944 in 1961.

Just some more trivia for a Saturday morning.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you believe... There even was a tavern at 6919 Kennedy Avenue in 1939 -- Felton, Walter G., tavern.

One more item of some interest... Glombeck Hardware was already located at 1506 Kennedy Avenue in 1929. That's before the new street number system when 169th Street was 15th Avenue.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  02:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Veddy interesting info, guys......

Here's the pic again, so we dont' have to keep switiching back to page 1:

CJ-- Yeah, DRIFT-INN is the name as my brother Mike and I definitely remember it (not "Drive-In") as it's always listed in the old directories).

So the "Drift-Inn" building on the left is 6907 Kennedy, owned by Emma Fowler, as listed in the directory listings. 6919 is the "Jim" building that's next;
the '56 directory lists it as "Hessville Tavern", while in '64 it's "Jim & Irene's". My guess is that the sign (obscured by the truck) actually says "Jim and Irene's".

DATE of pic: check the cars across the street; parked directly in front of the truck is a '56 (or '55) CHEVY, and next to it driving in the street is a
'56 (or '55) FORD. So it's safe to say the the 1956 City Directory would correspond to this pic.

SO The "Food Mart" sign above the parked truck behind the mailbox is obviously "TRIPLE J FOOD MART" at 6934 Kennedy. The Sharon Mae's building
would have to be the one directly ABOVE the parked '56 Chevy, but it's hard to make it out; the next building looks like the Post Office, but it
couldn't be if Stefano's house is the big one that's clearly visible.

KEN-- If you look on the block south of Stefano's house--right next to the THIRD TELEPHONE POLE in the pic---it almost looks like a sign with the
State Farm Insurance logo (the three red ovals on a white background). Do you have a super-duper magnifying device to check this out?
Maybe you'll spot another assassin hanging out of a window (oh no...not again...).

What's listed in the '56 Directory for that next block south?

Anyway, I may talk to Rich Lytle at the Hammond Library sometime and
let him know that his photo is incorrectly captioned as "Kennedy & 165th", now that we have some expert confirmation.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/08/2012 02:42:17
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  02:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANYWAY.....

Here's as good a shot as I could get of the scene as it looks today,
taken somewhat further south on Kennedy, closer to the light post in
the middle (which may be in the same spot as in the original pic):

Taken with my not-too-sophisticated digital camera on Friday, Jan 6 (in 52 degree temperature!) It's almost impossible to get a good
image, since facing south during the winter months is always going to put the sun in front of you (as opposed to overhead), so everything
is either light-struck or dark and murky.

But it's just as well, since the current look of the street is pretty
depressing, especially compared to the bright, upbeat look of the 1956 original.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/08/2012 03:00:12
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  07:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Veddy interesting info, guys......

Here's the pic again, so we dont' have to keep switiching back to page 1:

CJ-- Yeah, DRIFT-INN is the name as my brother Mike and I definitely remember it (not "Drive-In") as it's always listed in the old directories).

The reason for the "Drive-In" is because the business attached to the "Drift-Inn" building indeed was "Drive-In Liquors" where they sold packaged booze...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/08/2012 07:43:55
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  09:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LR - Your were correct when you said, "the next building looks like the Post Office."

Look right above the "Food Mart" sign and you will see the gable end of a one story house. That is the Stefano house. Sharon Mae's is hidden behind the black delivery truck. The light colored truck is in front of the post office, which can be identified by the row of white blocks above the windows. The larger two story house (7004), is on the SW corner of Kennedy and 170th Street, across 170th from the post office.

The 1956 directory lists the following in the 7000 block of Kennedy on the west side:

7004: Jos. Fuzy & Donald Bowen
7008: Abbott Supply & Henry Goudge
7010: VanGorp & Son, plumbing
7014: Terry Fisher (The directory does not say State Farm, but I am sure Terry Fisher was the agent. The 1961 directory lists 7014 as Hessville State Farm Ins.)
7018: Lydia E. Whitaker, Grocer (Is this grandma's?)
7020: Cowan Builders
7026: Town & Country Home Improvement
7028: vacant
7030: Arthur Hess, real estate
7034: Lawrence Roach, florist
7040: Daniel Ramker, physician & Charles Niblick, dentist
7042: George Bocken, funeral director

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/08/2012 10:10:19
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  09:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thought:
It's extremely difficult to see in the picture that is posted on Sheptalk, but the Sharon Mae's sign is just barely visible to the left of the first telephone pole. The sign was on a pole on the south corner of the building and the same height as the building. The three lines of writing on the sign can be seen, but not actually read: Sharon Mae's/Variety Store/Gifts. There we have Triple J, Sharon Mae's, Stefano's, and the post office.

I think we gathered enough information to convince even Mr. Lytle that this was taken from 169th Street, not 165th Street.

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/08/2012 10:11:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  15:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

NOW it all makes sense.

Here's the Sharon Mae's pic which you had posted elsewhere--with its
prominent sign. When you know what you're looking for, it's possible
to make out this sign right above the upper left corner of the parked
truck.

Also, as you clarified, the apex of the Stefano house is the SMALL one that's barely visible right above the "Food Mart" sign, and
whose front porch with icicles can be seen in THIS pic.

CAN YOU ALSO GIVE US a run-down of the west-side addresses starting at 169th down to 7004? That would help put all of this in order.

RE: the Stefano house -- in the summer of 1964, on one of our usual summer walks along Kennedy Ave, my brother Mike, my pal Charlie Harvey,
and I stopped at Sharon Mae's, and then decided to CLIMB UP and INTO the abandoned, derelict Stefano house via its north-side window.
I clearly remember that Charlie was carrying a new comic book he had just bought at Hill's--the newest issue of the "Adventures of Jerry Lewis" -
I think it was something about "Jerry meets the Monsters" or something like that. We boosted each other up through the window, walked around
a bit in the very dangerous, crumbling old place, and then left.

Just filling time on a boring summer day.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/08/2012 15:44:38
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  18:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here goes...
West side of the 6900 block of Kennedy Avenue from the 1956 directory:

6910: Glombeck Hardware
6912: under construction (B & B Beauty Salon in 1961 directory)
6920-22: Van Senus & Lauer Auto Parts
6920 1/2: Norbert Bobay
6930: Jimmie's Feed Store
......Mrs. Mabel Ross
6932: vacant
6934: Triple J Food Mart
-- Apartments
...1. Donald Johnson
...2. Mrs. Minnie Dedelow
...3. John Wolf
...4. Steve Benko
...5. Mrs. Coral Lillie
...6. Louis Wells
6940: Sharon Mae Variety Store
6942: Peter M. Stefano

The Post Office building was already there at either 6944 or 6946, but was not included in the 1956 directory. It was listed at the previous location, 6626 Kennedy Avenue, where Ken's Barber Shop was located after the Post Office moved to 170th and Kennedy. (Don't confuse the 6626 Kennedy location with the current location at 165th and Kennedy.)

Here's an interesting note from the 1961 directory. Peter Stefano shows up at 6556 Kennedy Avenue. That would put him just north of Jack's Carry Out. As far as I can remember, all the houses had been either moved from that area or demolished by then.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  20:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, for the days when you could find someone actually named CORAL LILLIE....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/08/2012 20:38:49
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  21:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, for the days when you could find someone actually named CORAL LILLIE....

I thought it looked strange, and probably reversed, but that's the way Mr. Polk had it in his directory.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  02:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken--

I assumed that the printed version was correct, since if Lillie were her first name, it would be spelled "Lily".

Larry
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  07:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are scores people with the last name of 'Lillie' scattered about the states. Some of them are Carol Lillie, but I see no Coral...Cj
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  10:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

LR The 1956 directory lists the following in the 7000 block of Kennedy on the west side:
7014: Terry Fisher (The directory does not say State Farm, but I am sure Terry Fisher was the agent. The 1961 directory lists 7014 as Hessville State Farm Ins.)
The 1956 Directory does show
7011 - Hessville State Farm Insurance (so, EAST SIDE OF STREET) and
7014 - Terry Fisher (WEST SIDE)
In 1954, 7011 was a residence for Steven M. Sitnik.

So, State Farm was on the East side of the street for 1956, when Fisher lived on the West side of the street. Then after 1956, Fisher possibly consolidated the insurance office to the front of his residence location on the West side. This would make the circa date of the photo after 1956, perhaps 1957 or 1958. Some "city directories" were published early in the year from data collected the year before. If the 1956 directory was published early (January or so) in the year, it would be with 1955 data. So, we are pretty close on the year of the photo.

Some identified cars as 1955 and 1956 vintage. So a later date of the photo is quite possible, since typically folks had cars for several years - they retained them longer since they seemed to last longer back in that day.

Also, as I recall from the early 70s after I turned legal, Drive-In Liquors had their door facing west to Kennedy, and Drift-Inn Tap had their door facing north to 169th (on the north-west corner) but both in the same building. I seem to remember a hardly-ever-used door between the two, at the very south-west corner of Drift-Inn, between the bar and the window of the west wall. Does this ring a bell?
Maybe Drift-Inn had a 169th Street address. That would explain why it never shows in the directories with a Kennedy Avenue address.

Edited by - TestPattern on 01/09/2012 14:45:25
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  18:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TEST--

Maybe that's it; check your directories to see if Drift-In is listed on 169th.
---------------------------------------------------
It's amazing to consider all of the events and memories that come flooding back through our current discussions: specifically, I recall the night of Sunday, November 8, 1964, when my brother Mike and I sat in a police squad car in the parking lot of DRIVE-IN/DRIFT INN (whatever) waiting to be hauled downtown for the BB-Gun shooting of a storefront window on Arizona Ave owned by a certain ALEX Sitnick (probably related to the Steven N. Sitnick that you list above). Thankfully, our favorite relative--our Uncle BOB RAPCHAK (see recent posts on "Magoun Ave Memories"), who was then a Hammond cop, came down to the lock-up to intervene, and we were spared an official booking (of course, we got our butts kicked in every other way).

Funny the way your past seems to catch up with you here on Sheptalk..
preferably after the statute of limitations has expired.

LR

PS -- Brings to mind the story of the missing giant Coke Bottle from
the rooftop display of DRIVE-IN/DRIFT-INN that was reported on the
"Those Fabulous Hot Dog Tacos" thread a few years ago here on Sheptalk.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/09/2012 20:20:03
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  20:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe that's it; check your directories to see if Drift-In is listed on 169th.

I have a complete directory for 1970 but nothing earlier. In that one, the only thing listed between Kennedy and Alabama on the south side of 169th is Conkey Cleaners. Drive-In Liquors is still listed at 6907 Kennedy.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/09/2012 20:11:57
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  01:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA!

There it is! Man...talk about statute of limitations!

Five psychedelically-enhanced dudes surrounding one pretty hefty
piece of evidence; "Your Honor...may I present Exhibit A?"

Might we know the chap on the lower right? And how about the
strategically-place finger atop of the lid?

(Pssst....don't let Little Stevie see this---he's strictly a PEPSI guy).

Another piece of Hammond history - right here on Sheptalk.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  10:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

HA!

LR

AHH...HAA!!!
Don't let Little Stevie see this, Huh?
Too late! I seen it!
I read the whole thread on this here page. . .
So. . .
Maybe this'll help. . .

No "thank you" necessary!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  17:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brightened version of the Kennedy/169th photo that Steve posted above clearly shows that I was standing about a block SOUTH from where
the old ('56) pic was taken. The yellow-awning building on the right edge is 6944 Kennedy...the old post office.

LR

Steve; OK, you asked fer' it: no thanks for doing this.

HEY, S.C.---WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COKE BOTTLE PIC YOU POSTED LAST NIGHT??!?

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/11/2012 17:20:00
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  18:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The brightened version of the Kennedy/169th photo that Steve posted above clearly shows that I was standing about a block SOUTH from where
the old ('56) pic was taken. The yellow-awning building on the right edge is 6944 Kennedy...the old post office.

LR

Steve; OK, you asked fer' it: no thanks for doing this.

HEY, S.C.---WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COKE BOTTLE PIC YOU POSTED LAST NIGHT??!?

Yeah! I wanted to see that!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  22:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the 50's photo, a few things come into view:

#1. The building hidden by the truck, with the word "Jim" on the side, must be as stated Jim & Irene's.
Looking through the front & back windshield of the truck, you can make out the beginning of "Hessville" which I assume would have read
"Jim & Irene's Hessville Tavern"

#2. ALSO, looking to the right, again through the truck's windows, is the unmistakable logo for the company that paid for the sign.

YEP! the late 50's Pepsi-Cola bottle cap logo!

#3. The truck parked in the street, in front of Jim & Irene's is
non other than a Hamm's Beer delivery truck!
Check out the lettering above the windshield of it. You'll be able to read the words.
Hamm's beer must have been distributed by "Brumm", since that is what the lettering says on the front of the truck's hood
Just a little more investigative research by Little Stevie!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 01/11/2012 22:30:24
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  22:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the coke bottle reference--didn't someone on Sheptalk confess to that caper a couple of years ago?

Ken I know it wasn't you, but do you remember if it was our friend who was living in Da Region at the time of the confession, then moved to another state?

As for me and my teen years, I was a dedicated Pepsi drinker.

99 bottles of Pepsi on the wall, . . . .

SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 01/11/2012 22:33:21
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  22:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6 bottles of Coke on the roof, 6 bottles of Coke ... Take one down and pass it around, 5 bottles of Coke....

Yes, I do remember hearing something about that one large bottle of Coke. And it was a little larger than the 2 liters we can buy at the store these days.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  23:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Ken, you can vouch for my innocence--I think maybe the initial-signing
may have confused the Magoun contingency. Either that, or there was just a feeling of the need to change
the subject lest there be time for taking action on the BB/window incident.

S C
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  00:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 01/11/2012 : 01:29:02

HA!

LR

OK---

WAS I HALLUCINTAING OR WHAT--- LAST NIGHT (Tuesday) WHEN I POSTED THE MESSAGE ABOVE?

My BB incident is now an open book here on Sheptalk; it's my story, and I'm stickin' with it!
Let's have that Coke Bottle photo back for posterity.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/12/2012 19:05:44
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  19:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

So, Ken, you can vouch for my innocence--I think maybe the initial-signing may have confused the Magoun contingency. S C
Speaking of SIGNing, I remember seeing this entry on another thread about a street sign that disappeared from the Hessville map many years ago.

"While my adding to this forum, may cause all to abandon it, I was reminded by your memories of confiscations and acquisitions that one Hessville green street sign reading 'Martha St.' is now residing in a home in Tennessee."
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  19:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh-Oh, now you're "meddlin". But I am still innocent--just have some knowledge
that might be incriminating if the statute of limitations applies and one can be
in hot water for withholding information no one has ever asked for.....

Why, you dirty rat....

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  00:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, HERE'S THE ORIGINAL FABULOUS HOT DOG!! BUILDINGwhich I also posted on the "Fab Hot Dog" thread:

AND NOW----HERE'S ANOTHER SHOT of the place, taken at the same time!

AND HERES THE SAME VIEW, as she looks today (Jan, 2012):

There's a '60 CHEVY CONVERTIBLE visible in the middle pic above, so
we can safely say that the "THEN and NOW" shots are separated by almost FIFTY YEARS.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/18/2012 00:29:04
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  06:13:43  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The second photo that has the Roddin Angles Auto Club on the left, was there discussion on another photo, trying to figure out what the sign said, about a year ago here? Or was the discussion on FB Planet Hammond?

I found the discussion on FB Planet Hammond and Larry, I stole your photo to post there. I hope you don't mind.

I also found this great article about you. http://www.northbrooksymphony.org/NSO2010-2011/17%20Rapchak/Rapchak.htm

Bob

Edited by - BobK on 01/18/2012 07:18:10
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob K:

thank you for the article featuring LR==He exemplifies the "everyman" idea, what with his conducting an orchestra while wearing 3 Stooges suspenders and having
the ability to transcend the ordinary into the world of music to the point of composing his own to conduct and mix with that of "the masters".

SC
BUT, don't tell him I said that!!!!

Edited by - S C Jones on 01/18/2012 09:56:57
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  11:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted links to the two pages of this Kennedy Avenue directory for 1929 a couple months back. Here I have condensed it to one page that will make it easier to read. When this directory was published, the east-west streets had different names which are shown below.

Sixth Place -- 162nd Place
Seventh Place -- 163rd Place
Eighth Place -- 164th Place
Summer Blvd. -- 165th Street
Adams Street -- 167th Street
Fifteenth Avenue -- 169th Street
Johnson Avenue -- 171st Street

The list ends on the south at Black Oak Road. Also, there is no street listed for 170th Street. Mr. Joseph Fuzy is listed as living at 1540 Kennedy Avenue, which must be the same as 7004 where he still lived 32 years later in 1961. But, what's so strange about that. I still live in the house where I lived in 1980, 32 years ago. Miss Lydia Hess, daughter of the founder of Hessville, lived at 1533 Kennedy.

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/18/2012 12:07:53
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  17:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1433 Kennedy
Big Calumet Tribe #595 Red Men

So, in 1929 there was a native American group in Hessville. I tried to Google
that and got the notice of the Blackout for now. But, would be interesting
to me to see what might be on hand for info regarding the Big Calumet Tribe...

Also John Hess seems to have lived in the same building as the Hessville library
in 1929.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  23:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question is,
why would you take pictures from that angle of your/a business?
A view from the back with junk vehicles in the foreground?
It would be interesting to know why these were taken from that spot!

RODDIN ANGELS AUTO CLUB
reminds me of these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfrSVGiB5e0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6cVscoeLI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3X9AWzTXY&feature=related
And of course. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwgGuadsqyo&feature=related

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 01/19/2012 16:30:52
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  02:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Jeez! You never miss an opportunity to make the Beach Boy's connection!

ALSO---notice right on top of the "Roddin' Angels" building the little "GAS" sign that's visible (and maybe a Coke or Pepsi logo/sign to the left of it);
that's probably SHIPMAN'S sign.

Re: This photo on Facebook---mixed feelings. Yeah, I'd rather we keep our research efforts here and let others come here to see 'em, but---none of these pics are copyrighted, and the fact that they're on the Internet means they're essentially free-for-the-taking. Just my sense of loyalty to the "underdog" Sheptalk site, I guess...and the fact that my brother Mike introduced me to y'all. But...no big deal; at least the pic will be useful in the Roddin' Angels discussion on Planet Hammond.

BOB - thanks for posting the Northbrook article on my "other" life; I try to keep a pretty low profile about it here in Whiting and just blend into the scenery.
But as long as youse' guys find it interesting, that's cool. It's challenging being a blue-collar guy at heart while trying to make it in a blue-blood profession.
There's only so much of it that I can take before I have to run down to the computer and relax by checkin' what's happening on Sheptalk.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/19/2012 02:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  07:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Lar, no worries here. I didn't understand a thing that article was saying but I'm still proud of ya.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  14:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Well, Lar, no worries here. I didn't understand a thing that article was saying but I'm still proud of ya.

Tomster

DITTO TOM, DITTO!
We are all blessed to have such an individual as Lawrence in our common, everyday lives!
Just for you, Larry!
From all of us here @ sheptalk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyxTMfh81K4&feature=related
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 01/19/2012 14:23:38
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  15:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Lar, no worries here. I didn't understand a thing that article was saying....

TOM---

Neither did I

Larry

PS-- Steve...Thanks for the musical tribute; I have always enjoyed the
very unique sound of the BB's music.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/19/2012 18:03:02
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  16:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're very, very,
very welcome!
BTW, where's the photo of the coke bottle?!
Not "A" coke bottle, "Thee coke bottle" from the outdoor sign!
Am I comin' through to all you sheptalkers out there?
I'd love to see it!
What was Shipman's again? A gas station?
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  16:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

As for me and my teen years, I was a dedicated Pepsi drinker.

99 bottles of Pepsi on the wall, . . . .

SC

SC,
my family thanx you for downing oh so many of those 10 ounce bottles of what I like to call
"The Nectar of the Gods"
back in your youth! I hope you're still "dedicated"!
Here's a link to one of my favorite Pepsi jingles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-bPdzXkTs
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 01/19/2012 16:48:28
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  16:59:59  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Things go better with Pepsi. I enjoy Pepsi when I'm not enjoying a beer.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LS (somehow I keep wanting to follow the LS with MFT
Well, I am sorry to have to admit this, but...
When I had to begin drinking diet rather than sugar-based, I tried to
like diet Pepsi, but it was just too sweet tasting. So, now, when I buy
a bottle of pop I buy Diet Coke--but the buying is few and far between.

I now prefer freshly brewed unsweet iced tea.

I did enjoy the pa pa pa of the Pepsi commercial, though!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  17:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhhhhhhhhhh. . . .Right through the heart!
Ya got me! Diet Coke?!
That was a 4 letter word we never used in our house!
C-O-K-E
Tea much better for you now!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  21:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY, CHECK THIS OUT......

While searching through more library photos, I came across THIS fascinating shot---a continuation of
the previously-posted-pics here that show the FABULOUS HOT DOG building and the Roddin' Angel's
parking lot at the intersection of Alabama Ave and 169th.

SO, AS WE TURN OUR GAZE TO THE WEST, we see:

On the far right edge is the SINCLAIR station(NE corner of Kennedy and 169th) that would ultimately become
the NEW Fabulous Hot Dogs; continuing left you see the STANDARD station on the NW corner; continuing left, there's
CONKEY CLEANERS that Ken found listed on 169th..

THEN---LO AND BEHOLD---WHAT'S THAT WE SEE UNDER THE CONKEY CLEANERS SIGN, TILTED
to the northwest?? (Little Stevie, you'd better avert your eyes.....)

There's also something else in this photo that's kind of bizarre...

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/21/2012 23:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  22:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see it! Are you sure it was "coke" and not a 6 pak of PEPSI?
Can't find the other bizarre thingy though!
LS
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  23:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it took a lot of enlargement, but I see the six pack of (don't look, Stevie)
coke---does it help if I lowercase the product name?

Larry,

Are you talking about the two people walking toward the house?--is that the
weird thang?

Oh, by the way, the Standard Station was Ferris's--my brother-in-law worked
for them for a time and we (I lived with my sister and her family for about 6 months) lived in the house that was between Ferris's station and the Pow Wow.

OH, I can see the roof of the Pow Wow---that IS weird. Or, is it the roof of the two-story building that was a storage place for PowWow and had an apartment on top?

SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/10/2012 23:31:18
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  00:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC--

YES--It's the two people walking toward the house; when I first looked at the pic and enlarged it, I couldn't figure out WHAT the heck I was looking at; first it looked like two tree trunks, then two lawn bags (not in use at the time), then two people in raincoats and headgear...etc. Now I seem to see what looks like a woman (on right) and a girl; the woman is wearing a coat and head scarf, the girl has blonde hair.....maybe?

Other opinions welcome. Also, note the woman standing in the door of the house.

A fascinating, "slice-o-life" pic of old-time Hessville.

Now, about that missing photo....

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/11/2012 00:36:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page