Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  20:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't forget to check out our Hessville map!

Ken (wvcogs) has very kindly posted online two versions of the large Hessville map I compiled (with helpful input from Ken and others):

a half-sized version at http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Hessville_Map.jpg

and a full-sized version at http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/HessvilleMap1950s.jpg

(takes 2-3 minutes to display, using a slow dial-up connection; but worth the wait!)

The map leaves out only the eastern and extreme southern parts of Hessville. It represents the area as it was in the late '50s to early '60s. Though of interest mostly to local area buffs, I think it has two uses for Shep fans:

(1) When a Shep-related place is occasionally identified (such as The Pin Bowl), the map can be used to locate it very precisely; and

(2) I've recreated the precise layout of both the old Harding portable and the newer '50s Harding (see Legend near upper right corner); this will be new to most of you. And Iíve updated the Harding school complex in light of the rare old photos that have recently come to light (thanks to Jim R and the webmaster of www.hhs59.com), and also the satellite photo Ken supplied. Iíve included only the flagpole that shows in one of the photos ... though I still seem to remember there being one on the Cleveland Street side, darn it!

Buildings and empty lots are not to exact scale. I tried, but mostly buildings show up as just as big as their label. And though I've used some of Ken's information as well as my own, the map shows only highlights, and is not complete. For anyone interested in the southernmost part of Hessville, former resident svea3 has a wealth of information.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  12:08:24  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a version of Hessville from the 1920's. My dad made it to scale. I just have to figure out how to print it or jpeg it. The Lohse's, Dedelow's and Hess' families are there. I am from the Lohse line [MHS'60]and communicate regularly with Ed Dedelow, who now lives in Florida [MHS'61]. Ken, Ed and I all went to the Covenant Presbyterian Church and were in the same groups. Ed's family is also German and his Grandfather was a cigar maker. Ken and I are related also through the Haupt [another German] line!
Go to Top of Page

gene31444

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  04:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just happen to stumble across this forum last evening. Boy was that a mistake. It brought back so many memories that I just had to join in.

For openers, I didn't know who Jean Shepherd was although in retrospect, I probably should have since I was born and raised in the 6600 block of Alabama Avenue. Knew he was from Hammond and authored "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" but that was about it until a few years ago when he passed away and my sister happen to be watching the 10:00 news on WBBM-TV, channel 2.

During the announcers naration about his life, they tried to show the type of homes and the neighborhood he grew up in and wrote about. Guess whose house they filmed, you guesssed it, mine. Why they didn't film his house on Cleveland Street, I don't know. My sister was stunned to say the least. She contacted WBBM the next day to request a copy of the story from the night before but was told to watch the noon news as they were repeating that segment again. Needless to say, she did and also recorded it. That short piece of VHS tape is a treasure of mine.

What memories I have of growing up in Hammond. When I see what is going on in the world today, I truly wish I could go back in time and do it all again. By the way, a question for Bill Bucko, your was your dad's name Henry and did he work at Combustion in EC? If so, my dad also worked there for 40 years. I still recall my mom taking him his lunchbucket with my younger sister and I going along. He would come out of the plant and we would sit on the grass and have a "picnic" with him. I know this sounds crazy, but I had a dream last Saturday night. In this dream, it was me taking him his lunch with my 3 year old grandson running up to him at the guard shack when the lunch whistle blew.

Being a 1962 MHS graduate, I to remember the Dairy Queen owned by Del Linley, Flicks "BOOZE" sign. Sip and Bite, Hitching Post, The Nook (didn't the Shore Line Bus line start/end there?), Dick's grocery next to Flicks, although we called it Pop's when a dollar got you a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread and a can of Copenhagen for my dad and Candes Pizza. The best damn pizza around. Here it is 45 years later and I still can't find a pizza that even comes close. I also remember that it was located on Kennedy Avenue prior to moving to 165th street. Dominic was the little guy who used to spin the dough. The owner was actually John Candiano who eventually sold it to one of the Ventrella brothers, Mike or Ken. I believe John Candiano moved to Florida after he sold it but then his son opened another Candes on Ridge Road in Munster. The one on 165th eventually burned.

A number of you mentioned trains. How well I too remember them. So much so that I still "play" with them. When my parents passed away, I found my original train they bought in 1952 at Dildine's on Calumet Avenue. I brought it back to North Carolina and that one engine, 3 cars and a caboose has since grown into a railroad empire. Naturally, my model railroad is modeled after the Nickel Plate, Monon and the IHB.

Well, it's 3:00 in the morning and my wife thinks I'm crazy so until later...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  05:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gene31444
By the way, a question for Bill Bucko, was your dad's name Henry and did he work at Combustion in EC? ... Being a 1962 MHS graduate, I too remember the Dairy Queen owned by Del Linley, Flicks "BOOZE" sign. Sip and Bite, Hitching Post, The Nook (didn't the Shore Line Bus line start/end there?), Dick's grocery next to Flicks, although we called it Pop's when a dollar got you a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread and a can of Copenhagen for my dad ...
A number of you mentioned trains ...
Welcome!

Yes, that was my father, at Combustion Engineering (earlier called SuperHeater).

Say, I bet you remember that awesome tapestry of sound that drifted our way every weekday at 12 Noon, as all the whistles sounded at all the plants in East Chicago! It lasted about half a minute, and was almost musical! Wish there were a recording of that!

Hammond's bus line did turn south onto Kennedy Avenue at The Nook. That's where I walked my girlfriend to, in 1964-65. Not sure what the bus line was called ... The Chicago, South Shore and South Bend RR station was on Indianapolis Blvd, just north of the Viaduct.

Yep, Pop's did sell milk, bread, and Copenhagen (my family bought all 3 there). In the 1950s and early 60s, there were 3 employees: Dick (in his 30s), the woman at the cash register (in her 30s or 40s), and Pop, way in the back at the meat counter, to the right of the milk cabinet. Pop was in his 70s. Never knew his real name, but I strongly suspect he was Shep's model for Old Man Ochsenschlager. He certainly looked as though he had grown old in the place. Bet he could have told some tales!

For much more on trains, read the earlier posts on the Hammond, Indiana thread.

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 02/13/2007 05:18:10
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  09:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Gene. Welcome aboard. It's great to hear from another old MHS Governor on the Forum. I remember buying milk in the glass bottle at Pop's and getting the thirteenth gallon free. Just take the card and get it punched every time you bought a gallon.

I also remember when Cande's was on Kennedy just across from Kenwood Lanes, but have a hard time convincing some people that it was ever located anywhere except on 165th.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  13:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People remember where you die, Ken. By the way, Jim Lane remembers you....CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  18:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey CJ --- You're not the only one. Some of you are just too young to remember Candes on Kennedy. It's too bad about the way Candes on 165th died -- the explosion you mentioned earlier.
Jim Lane doesn't ring a bell in this old retired brain. Give me some clues. Is that from Hessville or Gary?

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  18:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History teacher at IUN. He puts together the "Steel Shavings" archives about the region. I was trying to pick his brain about sources for "Lynn's Story". That's a pretty good working title, isn't it?....CJ
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  23:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, you are now moving into discussions of my neighborhood....south side EC. For those of you who's dads worked at Superheater, did they drink after work at the Cotton Lounge? I believe that was directly west of superheater, on 151st and Railroad Avenue. Across from Superheater was Union Tank which made railroad cars. Farther to the east was Humes and Berg which made musical accessories like mutes. Their claim to fame was that Skitch Henderson (Johnny Carson's band leader before Doc Severson) used their mutes. Their plant burned down in the early 1960's and they rebuilt and are still there today. I worked for them briefly in the early 1970's. Not far away was Blaw Knox, who made military tanks, as I recall. Also Graver company, but I can't remember what they made. Hopefully this helps paint a picture of the locations around superheater for those of you who's Dad's worked in EC, but who lived in Hammond.
It is really pretty sad that there are no FORMAL or Official sites with such history of Hammond, EC and Whiting that document both in narrative and photos, the great history of the Region. So much of it is now gone, and we have only forums like this to refresh each others memories.
I just remembered after reading through your descriptions that a movie was made in the late 1970's called Four Friends and it was about 4 high school friends growing up in EC in the 1960's. It was shot on location around the Region, at EC Roosevelt HS, at Indiana Dunes, and various other locations. I saw it when it first came out. I see that it is now available on DVD. Think I'm gonna rent it and reminisce.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  16:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather worked security at Combustion and I worked there for a short time in I think 74. Iremember Cotton Lounge, but never went in there. I went to Youngstown S&T after that. I'm tring to remember exactly where it was, somewhere off of 129th, but we watched them setting up and begin to film a scene from 4 Friends. It was the scene where someone was arriving to town at a train station. There was a vintage steam engine and lots of spiffed up old cars. Lotta black smoke pouring out of that "hot water job", as dad called them. The part where the lead guy (can't remember his real name) Danilo (?) is near a passenger ship, I think with his father or someone on it, was shot in the canal between Youngstown and Inland, on the Inland side. The "passenger ship" was actually an ore barge...CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 02/16/2007 18:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  19:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then you should remember that high arched bridge on 151st Street over the canal*, as you approached Combustion Engineering from the east; the Metal & Thermit Company; and that industry on the north side of the street (from my map, I think it was Robinson Brothers) with their high fences stenciled with the grim warning: "KEEP OUT BAD DOGS". (Does Shep mention that anywhere?) (Never was sure whether they meant they had bad watch dogs, or they were calling trespassers bad dogs!)

You guys interested in East Chicago (or Hammond for that matter), just send me a private message with your e-mail address, and I will send you an awesomely detailed map of the area from 1964, showing precise locations of all major industries! The map was prepared by the Hammond School Board, and somehow I still have a copy. My scan is 1805 x 3106 pixels, 1.37 MB. Great map!

* from the Calumet River north, through the steel mills, to Indiana Harbor.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  11:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Candiano was mentioned a couple of reply back - I think by Gene. Was this the same Candiano family that owned Candiano's Supermarket on Chicago Avenue in EC?
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  20:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gene,

By any chance did you have a relative named Hank?

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond, IN

-------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by gene31444

I just happen to stumble across this forum last evening. Boy was that a mistake. It brought back so many memories that I just had to join in.

For openers, I didn't know who Jean Shepherd was although in retrospect, I probably should have since I was born and raised in the 6600 block of Alabama Avenue. Knew he was from Hammond and authored "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" but that was about it until a few years ago when he passed away and my sister happen to be watching the 10:00 news on WBBM-TV, channel 2.

During the announcers naration about his life, they tried to show the type of homes and the neighborhood he grew up in and wrote about. Guess whose house they filmed, you guesssed it, mine. Why they didn't film his house on Cleveland Street, I don't know. My sister was stunned to say the least. She contacted WBBM the next day to request a copy of the story from the night before but was told to watch the noon news as they were repeating that segment again. Needless to say, she did and also recorded it. That short piece of VHS tape is a treasure of mine.

What memories I have of growing up in Hammond. When I see what is going on in the world today, I truly wish I could go back in time and do it all again. By the way, a question for Bill Bucko, your was your dad's name Henry and did he work at Combustion in EC? If so, my dad also worked there for 40 years. I still recall my mom taking him his lunchbucket with my younger sister and I going along. He would come out of the plant and we would sit on the grass and have a "picnic" with him. I know this sounds crazy, but I had a dream last Saturday night. In this dream, it was me taking him his lunch with my 3 year old grandson running up to him at the guard shack when the lunch whistle blew.

Being a 1962 MHS graduate, I to remember the Dairy Queen owned by Del Linley, Flicks "BOOZE" sign. Sip and Bite, Hitching Post, The Nook (didn't the Shore Line Bus line start/end there?), Dick's grocery next to Flicks, although we called it Pop's when a dollar got you a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread and a can of Copenhagen for my dad and Candes Pizza. The best damn pizza around. Here it is 45 years later and I still can't find a pizza that even comes close. I also remember that it was located on Kennedy Avenue prior to moving to 165th street. Dominic was the little guy who used to spin the dough. The owner was actually John Candiano who eventually sold it to one of the Ventrella brothers, Mike or Ken. I believe John Candiano moved to Florida after he sold it but then his son opened another Candes on Ridge Road in Munster. The one on 165th eventually burned.

A number of you mentioned trains. How well I too remember them. So much so that I still "play" with them. When my parents passed away, I found my original train they bought in 1952 at Dildine's on Calumet Avenue. I brought it back to North Carolina and that one engine, 3 cars and a caboose has since grown into a railroad empire. Naturally, my model railroad is modeled after the Nickel Plate, Monon and the IHB.

Well, it's 3:00 in the morning and my wife thinks I'm crazy so until later...

Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  13:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Please don't forget to check out our Hessville map!

Ken (wvcogs) has very kindly posted online two versions of the large Hessville map I compiled (with helpful input from Ken and others):

a half-sized version at http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Hessville_Map.jpg

and a full-sized version at http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/HessvilleMap1950s.jpg

The map leaves out only the eastern and extreme southern parts of Hessville. It represents the area as it was in the late '50s to early '60s. Though of interest mostly to local area buffs, I think it has two uses for Shep fans:

(1) When a Shep-related place is occasionally identified (such as The Pin Bowl), the map can be used to locate it very precisely; ...

The original post by Bill Bucko with map info from Ken (wvcogs) was to cite locations indentified by/with Shep. Using this as a starting point, perhaps contributors can supply more info to reconstruct the Hessville Map and Kennedy Avenue circa 1950-1960.

As is the nature of these forums, most of the information has been mentioned in other postings, but let's get some responses to consolidate information to this posting location.

I have a few questions about the map first posted.
* Was Jack's Carry-Out on the northwest corner of Vine and Kennedy?
* Info on Freddy's Steakhouse says it has been in business for over 50 years. Does someone know when it opened, replacing the used car lot shown on the map? There currently is a used car lot on 165th to the west of Freddy's, across what would have been the alley.
* Is Luchene's in the correct location? I remember it almost directly north of the lumberyard. There was a small two story, probably 25 foot wide building, south of Luchene's and north of the lumberyard office that had some other businesses in it.
* There is a hardware shown on the map on the east side of Kennedy and north of 167th. Does someone remember its name?

Some of my additional recollections not on the map:
+ Glombeck's Hardware was on the west side of Kennedy and one lot south of 169th.
+ Lelito's Hardware was at the northeast corner of Kennedy and 170th.
+ Shipman's was at the northwest corner of 169th and Arizona.
+ Gregory's Grocery Store was at the northwest corner of Kennedy and 173rd.
+ Blue Bird Tap was on the east side of Kennedy, north of the corner gas station at 169th but south of the railroad tracks.
+ Pioneer Tap was on the west side of Kennedy, north of 169th and the railroad tracks.
+ Tavern/liquor store was on the southeast corner of Kennedy and 169th. Additional store were attached to the east including a pizza carry-out.
+ Chuck and Irene's Tap was on the west side of Kennedy, one lot south of 161st.
+ Fire Station was on the south side of 169th, one lot west of Marshall.
+ Feed Store was on the west side of Kennedy, between Van Senus and Sharon Mae's shown on the map.
+ Gas station was on the southwest corner of Kennedy and 171st.
+ Gas station was on the southwest corner of Kennedy and 173st.
+ Gas station was on the southeast corner of Kennedy and 173st.
+ Huber Funeral Home was on the northeast corner of Kennedy and 171st.
+ Bocken Funeral Home was on the west side of Kennedy one large lot north of 171st.
+ Shoe Repair Shop was on the southeast corner of Kennedy and Downey.
+ Telephone company switching office was on the southwest corner of Kennedy and 172nd.
+ Church was on the southeast corner of Kennedy and Orchard Drive.
+ Church was on the northeast corner of Martha and Alabama.

Was the original location of the "Little Red School House" on 169th Street about two lots west of Kennedy Avenue before it was moved to Hessville Park?

What are your recollections of other locations of Hessville businesses?
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  14:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll scan the Kennedy Avenue pages from a mid-1950s Hammond City Directory and post them here large enough so they can be read. Give me a day or so to do it. That may help answer many of the questions. We have assembled much more information since those maps were posted five years ago, including city directories pages from various years and links to photo archives.

-- Yes to Jack's location
-- I'm not sure when the business opened as Freddy's, but Toomey's Tavern was in the same building as far back as 1948. Freddy's parking lot on the corner was the used car lot.
-- I think you're right about Luchene's.
-- The hardware store north of 167th is Howell.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 11/01/2011 14:18:15
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  14:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

-- The hardware store north of 167th is Howell.

Thank you for remembering Howell. That one always escapes me.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  18:32:47  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the used car lot was on the corner and Freddy's was next, north.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  19:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

I thought the used car lot was on the corner and Freddy's was next, north.

Rethinking it, you are correct about the car lot being on the corner and Freddy's being one lot north. Eventually Freddy's first added on to the north, when their main entrance was still on Kennedy. Then they bought the used car lot, and added on to the south with a new entry and washrooms. I confused time frames.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
---The "GAS" on the NE corner of Kennedy and 169th was the famous
SINCLAIR (Dino) station, which became Fabulous Hot Dogs in the late
60's.

--The liquor joint on the SE corner of Kennedy and 169th was "DRIFT INN"
(sometimes listed as "Drive In"), and the attached pizza place
was KEY PIZZA (this info can be found on the Sheptalk p. 3 thread
"Those Fabulous Hot Dog Tacos")

--Was the SALVATION ARMY (north of Dairy Queen/south of Jack's) there
in the late 50's?; I thought it was a much more recent addition

--What's DARNELL'S (Cleveland and Kennedy)? Any relation to barber
Floyd Darnell from Woodmar/Paris's barber shop, etc?

---Let's not forget the legendary GRANDMA'S DELICATESSEN at 7018
Kennedy (a few doors south of 170th, west side of street,directly east of Morton)

--OR HESSVILLE HOBBIES, next door at 7020 Kennedy

--Hey--where's the Rapchak family house?

--too bad our pal Frank Mosca ("nitti") doesn't check in any more; he had
a fabulous memory for the stores and businesses on Kennedy north
of 169th.

--I'm sure KEN O'Neal will clear up a lot of this stuff by using
his trusty ol' city directories.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2011 20:23:01
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are links to the three Kennedy Avenue pages from the 1961 Hammond City Directory on Photo Bucket. Click on the link to go to the image. Each is about 400 KB. Click on the image to enlarge it to full size. Also, you can right click on the images and download them if you wish.

Kennedy Avenue page 1

Kennedy Avenue page 2

Kennedy Avenue page 3

Ken
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can post links to earlier directories for Kennedy Avenue if you would like to see them. I have 1954 and 1956 already scanned, but not posted to Photo Bucket. I don't have complete directories for these years, just Kennedy Avenue. Richard Lytle at the library provided the copies. Directories for 1929, 1939, 1948, and 1952 haven't been scanned. Addresses on the 1929 directory are completely different going from 1070 at 161st Street to 1645 at Black Oak Road. Most of the cross streets had not yet been renamed.

There are two obvious errors on the directories that were posted above. Jack's should be listed on the north side of Vine Street and the American Legion should be on the north side of Downey.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  02:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS to all youse guys for remembering my poor old map!

Omigod, so many comments!!!

Yes, see the Hammond City Directories that Ken and others have graciously shared. They are the ultimate resource for addresses. I have a few pages I got from them, mostly just for Kennedy Avenue, for 1948, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1961, and 1971.

In fact, it was those City Directories that led me to make my biggest mistake: going against my own memories, I put Jackís Carry-Out on the southwest corner, instead of northwest, because going by the address, 6602 Kennedy, it had to be on the next block! Sorry, folks.

Sorry also: my memory of exactly how far down the block Lucheneís was was a bit hazy, too. Farther south you go, the hazier my memory is.

Geez, youse guys remember exactly where every last tavern was! Iím really impressed!

SE corner of Cleveland and Kennedy (6405 Kennedy)
1948, 1952: Frank Vargo, groceries
1954, 1956: Darnellís Food Shop
1961: Porterís Tap

Salvation Army store was not there in the 50s, north of Dr. Hesterís office; but it definitely WAS there in 1966óI remember, because thatís where I bought my first copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  05:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also am curious. In the above comments, the name of Toomey appears. Does anyone know if that is the same family that had Toomeys resort in Cedar Lake? We spent many hours watching the sun set and the moon shining on the water . Of course we watched it by gazing at the mirror on the back-bar at Toomeys.
One quick note of historical interest. My Aunt had several rental cabins on the opposite side of the lake. She told me and my late brother that she rented cabins to none other than Al Capone a few times. I wish that I had that receipt book (probably didn't sign his name anyway.) Tom W
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  13:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

I can post links to earlier directories for Kennedy Avenue if you would like to see them. I have 1954 and 1956 already scanned, but not posted to Photo Bucket.
A few additional years of directories would be great, when time allows.
I had not seen the ones from 1961 before, so it was a treat to read through them.
Thank you very much!!!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  14:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Kennedy Avenue Directory pages. These are for 1954 and 1956. The earlier ones will be posted when I get the chance to scan them.
Ken...

Kennedy Avenue 1954 - page 1

Kennedy Avenue 1954 - page 2

Kennedy Avenue 1956 - page 1

Kennedy Avenue 1956 - page 2

Kennedy Avenue 1956 - page 3
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, BILL---

Re: your original map and CANDE'S pizza--- I know we went through this on another thread, but I remember that when my family first started doing the weekly (Sunday) pizza thing, my dad would drive North on Kennedy to a pizza place (just south of his pal Earl at the Sunoco station) and pick up the pie; this was in late '63-through '64. But I'm sure it was called "JOHN'S" Pizza, or something simple like that..and their pizza was the absolute best I can remember (House o' Pizza in Woodmar being a very close second).

I remember Cande's on 165th just east of Kennedy during the late 60's. Would have to see a city directory from c. '64 to check this out and see how wrong I am about the North Kennedy business.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Check 6310 Kennedy Avenue in the 1956 directory above. You'll see the original location of Cande's Pizza. I walked past it frequently to my girlfriend's house on Kenwood Street frequently (my future wife of 47 years). I lived next door to the location on 165th Street when the building was constructed and Cande's moved into it in 1958.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

Yep, there it is.

BUT---by 1961, 6310 Kennedy was Sawyer's Bar-B-Q, according to your directory.
So the big question for me would be: What was 6310 Kennedy in 1964? Maybe it was
another address very close by; but there was a JOHN's pizza --or something very similar.
Greatest pizza I ever et'.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/02/2011 20:15:35
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More directories of Kennedy Avenue.

Kennedy Avenue 1929 - page 1

Kennedy Avenue 1929 - page 2

Kennedy Avenue 1939 - page 1

Kennedy Avenue 1939 - page 2

Kennedy Avenue 1948

Kennedy Avenue 1952 - page 1

Kennedy Avenue 1952 - page 2

That's all I have.

Ken

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Greatest pizza I ever et'.

Larry,
If John's was the greatest you ever et' then you never et' any Cande's!!!
Ken
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  21:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TestPattern

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Bucko

I have a few questions about the map first posted.

* Is Luchene's in the correct location? I remember it almost directly north of the lumberyard. There was a small two story, probably 25 foot wide building, south of Luchene's and north of the lumberyard office that had some other businesses in it.

What are your recollections of other locations of Hessville businesses?

I think between the lumberyard office, Luchene's and the 5&10 was Kaplan's Shoes, but I may be wrong about that location. I distinctly remember it because my dad would take me there, and I hated the place.
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  21:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then you should remember that high arched bridge on 151st Street over the canal*, as you approached Combustion Engineering from the east; the Metal & Thermit Company; and that industry on the north side of the street (from my map, I think it was Robinson Brothers) with their high fences stenciled with the grim warning: "KEEP OUT BAD DOGS".

Bill

Oh yeah, my aunt lived on 143rd St. I believe, and we'd go over that bridge every time. A couple of blocks away, on Olcott, I lived for over a year before moving to Hessville off Orchard Drive, east of Hessville Park.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  22:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Tommy,
Mack Shoes was located just south of the 5 & 10 in the late 1950s and 1960s. Kaplan's was in the 7000 block of Indianapolis Blvd. I'm not sure if they ever had a store on Kennedy.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  02:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Bill Bucko can help here.

If Cande's was at 6310 Kennedy only a couple of years (1955? to
'58, when it moved to 165th St), and the location was a Bar-B-Q
joint in 1961, then what was the pizza place up there in the mid '60's
just south of where Earl's Sunoco was located?

Maybe I'll check the Hammond Library for a 1964 directory.

Ken...yes, I used to eat at Cande's in the late 60's (on 165th)
Just wondering.....did you ever try the pie at House of Pizza?

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  05:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, look at Kenís Directory pages from 1929! That would be from when Shep was around 8 years old, and hankering after a Red Rider BB Gun. My neck of the woods (Kenwood Street) was apparently not built up yet. The Turner-Meyn building was there, but no grocery yet, just doctors. No Flickís Tap yet. And 165th was Summer Blvd!

Our beloved Hansen Branch Library, on Martha Ave. just east of Kennedy, was evidently not yet a library, if the building was even standing; for there was a branch library farther south, at 1509 near Glombeck Hardware.

In the 1939 Directory, when Shep would have been 18, Flickís Tavern finally shows up (owned by Mr Flickenger, dad of Shepís pal Flick), as well as Mr Toomeyís Hiawatha Garden across the street (for youse guys who survive largely on liquid sustenance). 165th is finally named 165th. Further south, A&P and Ace Theatre are there. Thereís no library next to Glombeckís, so the Hansen Branch has probably opened. The Blue Bird Tavern is there (youíll be happy to know).

By 1948, Kennedy Avemue north of Cleveland Street has definitely been built up. Idle Hour Cocktail Lounge is there (youse guys know who you are). And Dickís Grocery has been opened.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  06:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone on a Facebook group said Jack's closed recently.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The owner of Jack's, JoAnn Matonovich, died in 2009. That was the last of anything I heard of Jack's until your post...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  01:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use this link for a Google map of Hessville with numerous business and locations marked from Ken's directories - many with photos.

http://g.co/maps/jm6cz
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  17:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a cool site, and lists many businesses/addresses from the era we've
been discussing PLUS gathers together most of the good photos from the Purdue
Calumet archives AND a number of year-book photos ads (check the "Frost-top" pics).

LR
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  09:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry and others, Jim has placed captions on many of the Purdue archives photos giving the appropriate credit. In addition to the Purdue and yearbook photos, he was able to pull in some of the color photos taken by seejay in 2007. Thanks for all the good work Jim.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  17:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Ken.
Not only that, you have 'Monkey Hill' where I remember it, so you can remove the "?" from it.
Good work, Jim...Cj
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  11:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Our beloved Hansen Branch Library, on Martha Ave. just east of Kennedy, was evidently not yet a library, if the building was even standing; ...
The Hansen Branch was designed by the architect, L. Cosby Bernard. His son, LCB Jr., took over the firm from his father, and I had worked for the firm in the 70s.
From some research, I found that three branch libraries were designed by LCB Sr. in the early 1930s, all Tudor style with stone veneer. The Hansen Branch would have been on of the three.
LCB Sr. designed the Meyer's Mansion/Castle on Lincoln Highway plus many of the prominent Forest Avenue homes including the Minas mansion. While working for the firm, we came across many of the old drawing sets. I remember seeing the branch library drawings, and the Minas mansion drawings. Several of us had a copy of the Minas front elevation drawing made, which I still have.
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  11:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Thanx Ken.
Not only that, you have 'Monkey Hill' where I remember it, so you can remove the "?" from it.
Good work, Jim...Cj

Here's a second confirmation on the location of Monkey Hill!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  22:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TestPattern

quote:

Our beloved Hansen Branch Library, on Martha Ave. just east of Kennedy, was evidently not yet a library, if the building was even standing; ...
The Hansen Branch was designed by the architect, L. Cosby Bernard. His son, LCB Jr., took over the firm from his father, and I had worked for the firm in the 70s.
From some research, I found that three branch libraries were designed by LCB Sr. in the early 1930s, all Tudor style with stone veneer. The Hansen Branch would have been on of the three.
LCB Sr. designed the Meyer's Mansion/Castle on Lincoln Highway plus many of the prominent Forest Avenue homes including the Minas mansion. While working for the firm, we came across many of the old drawing sets. I remember seeing the branch library drawings, and the Minas mansion drawings. Several of us had a copy of the Minas front elevation drawing made, which I still have.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This definitely goes into my permanent files!

I'm a veteran of the Hansen Branch's Summer Vacation Reading Program (1956, 1957 etc.) After reading I think it was 12 books, you were awarded a little premium: a tiny felt cowboy hat, a penny enclosed in plastic, etc. And of Mrs. Harriet Pinkerton's after-school Book Discussion group for high schoolers around 1964. As I recall, we read the following books:

To Kill a Mockingbird
Cry, the Beloved Country
Generation of Vipers
The Mouse that Roared
Fail-Safe

and Mrs. Pinkerton presciently told me she thought I would enjoy reading Ayn Rand! I remember other group members included Barbara Burton, John Thompson, Betty Barney, and I think Betty Freel.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  23:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Cande's was at 6310 Kennedy only a couple of years (1955? to
'58, when it moved to 165th St), and the location was a Bar-B-Q
joint in 1961, then what was the pizza place up there in the mid '60's
just south of where Earl's Sunoco was located?

Maybe I'll check the Hammond Library for a 1964 directory.

SO's ANYWAY.....

I found a 1964 Hammond Directory at the Whiting Library, and the
place at 6310 Kennedy that made the FABULOUS, BEST-EVER pizza was
called Riccardi's Pizza! Who else remembers it!?

(I thought it was called "John's"; well..I was close).

In early '64, my dad would order a large pie from Riccardi's every Sunday evening. The problem
was that SEVEN of us were supposed to eat off of this thing, and Mike and I would end up with
one or two pieces at most ("we got this for the other kids; you guys find something on your own
to eat").
Maybe that's why this pizza tasted so damned good...we waited all day for it, and then got
only a few morsels. But I remember thin crust, tangy sauce, and pungent sausage. Today,
only HOUSE-of-PIZZA (Yea!!) comes close.

(The 1974 Directory lists "Papa B's Red Onion Pizzeria" in this same space).

ALSO--check out 6219 Kennedy- Hammond Studios Art School- a short-lived school run by a couple of local art teachers...one of them was Bob Fischer, who ended up at Gavit. I attended a Saturday afternoon class here during '63- early '64; I remember walking down there on Saturday, November 23, 1963...the day after the JFK assassination...and sitting alone on a dark, cloudy afternoon with Mr. Fischer talking about it.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/15/2011 23:21:43
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Riccardi's, but Cande's still took all the laurels with me.

I see mention of Gardner's Standard. Here is a pic of George Slade when he worked there. This was pre-Nam for me so it must have been taken late '67 or early '68.
John Korba also worked there at this time
...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  14:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

SO's ANYWAY.....

I found a 1964 Hammond Directory at the Whiting Library,
LR

THANKS! May we please see more (if you have scans)?

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  02:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OKEY-DOKEY!

Here's what I have:

KENNEDY AVENUE - 1964
Continuation south of 6300

KENNEDY - 6500-6900

KENNEDY - south of 6900

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/18/2011 02:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  06:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spectacular! Thanks very much, Larry!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  18:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's SOMETHING of SPECIAL INTEREST TO HESSVILLE-CENTRIC FOLK.....

I found this cool pic in the Hammond Library; it was captioned by the person who donated it
as a shot of Kennedy and 165th. I'm not at all convinced, but I thought I'd wait for Ken, Bill, or
anyone else to weigh in.

I'd guess it's from 1955 or '56....and I think a city directory or two from the era would help identify the location.

Guys?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/06/2012 18:25:01
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  19:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

HERE's SOMETHING of SPECIAL INTEREST TO HESSVILLE-CENTRIC FOLK.....

I found this cool pic in the Hammond Library; it was captioned by the person who donated it
as a shot of Kennedy and 165th. I'm not at all convinced, but I thought I'd wait for Ken, Bill, or
anyone else to weigh in.
I'd guess it's from 1955 or '56....and I think a city directory or two from the era would help identify the location.

Guys?

LR

How about 169th and Kennedy? That's looking south on Kennedy from 169th.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/06/2012 19:53:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page