RANDY SHEPHERD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CONDOR

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  11:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IN EFY, THE AUTHOR STATES THAT SHEP'S BROTHER RANDY PITCHED FOR THE CINCY REDS IN 1947-48. I HAVE CHECK A NUMBER OF BASEBALL ENCYCLOPEDIAS AND HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO LOCATE ANY INFO ON RANDY SHEPHERD. CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT. DID HE PITCH FOR THE REDS OR IN THEIR FARM SYSTEM. WHAT WERE HIS STATS IN ORGANIZED BALL? IF HIS STATS ARE IN ANY BASEBALL RECORD BOOK, IS THERE BIOGRAPHICAL DATA ALSO? sINCE SHEP WAS A BIG BASEBALL FAN, DO YOU THINK HE WAS SECRETLY PROUND OR JEALOUS OF HIS BROTHER'S ATHLETIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS?

jarkhr

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  02:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, failed to find any reference to a Randy or Randall Shepherd having played ML baseball. Bergmann cites as his source an Earl Wilson column for Oct. 16, 1955. Can anyone verify or dispute his claim? Joe Rehyansky jarkhr@hotmail.com

Joe Rehyansky
Go to Top of Page

ebruceb

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jarkhr

I, too, failed to find any reference to a Randy or Randall Shepherd having played ML baseball. Bergmann cites as his source an Earl Wilson column for Oct. 16, 1955. Can anyone verify or dispute his claim? Joe Rehyansky jarkhr@hotmail.com

Joe Rehyansky

Go to Top of Page

ebruceb

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the book I refer to the Earl Wilson comment that Randy played for the Cincinatti Reds. I cannot verify if that was true, but one should note that it is common for a ballplayer to say he played for some major league team, when indeed he only played in their organization (maybe only at a minor league level). If I had been writing a detailed bio of Randy, I would have followed up on the accuracy of the statement, but for my purposes, the idea was merely to indicate that Shep apparently did not give his kid brother his full due.

Gene B.
Go to Top of Page

CONDOR

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  12:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ebruceb

In the book I refer to the Earl Wilson comment that Randy played for the Cincinatti Reds. I cannot verify if that was true, but one should note that it is common for a ballplayer to say he played for some major league team, when indeed he only played in their organization (maybe only at a minor league level). If I had been writing a detailed bio of Randy, I would have followed up on the accuracy of the statement, but for my purposes, the idea was merely to indicate that Shep apparently did not give his kid brother his full due.

Gene B.

Go to Top of Page

CONDOR

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  12:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Gene B:

You are probably correct. Randy Shepherd probably pitched in the Reds farm system. I am also a SABR member and I am attempting to obtain his minor league stats. I will post same if successful.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Indianapolis Indians was in the Reds "farm system".I mention this as they are now with the Milwaukee team now,but they had been with the Cinncy Reds at that time..

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  16:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PR lady at the Indianapolis Indians informed me that before the '60's, if players did not participate in at least a third of the games, they may not show up on the roster for that year.
She further stated this did not preclude Randy from being a team member, but that this was general practice of the farm team system.
It is entirely possible Randy was a "bench warmer".....

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Zig Tyko

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  02:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm the "Lt. Cherry" of the day, this being my first post...also, I'm an avid baseball fan, so I picked this topic to introduce myself...I grew up in N.Y.C.[the late fifties, early sixties] listening to Shep on WOR and seeing him at the Limelight on more than one occation...In answer to the question re. Shep's feelings about Randy's baseball prowess, I'm convinced he'd have been MUCH more proud than jealous...I'd bet Pete Rose a "Brass Figmagee with Oakleaf Olusters" that I'm correct... R.I.P., Jean.

Ralph Zig Tyko
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Zig Tyko

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  16:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From reading the postings on this forum I now realize it's 'brass figligee' not 'figmigee'...after all these years, I'm in balance with the universe

Ralph Zig Tyko
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Zig Tyko

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  16:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's 'figlagee'--------at last, correct.

Ralph Zig Tyko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page