Mass Backwards
 Shep's Commercials Show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez, it's been two weeks since someone has posted something on this message board. Everybody's probably doing some summer thing like fishing for crappies, indulging in an ice cream price war or gettin' into a summer fistfight. I'm still recovering from last weekend's Red Sox fiasco myself .

Anyway, I listened to the latest Shep show on Mass Backwards (8/22) in which Shep talks about people collecting commercials & radio shows & played several Edsel radio commericals. It was such an interesting show in that he was discussing the very means by which his radio shows were perserved for posterity. Also, I recently purchashed a CD of Coke commericals from the 1960's in which various pop stars of the day (Petula Clark, the Box Tops, the Vogues, etc.) would sing "Things Go Better With Coke" in their individual hit song styles. I actually played it in my car in lieu of listening to the radio. The effect was like listening to an oldies show, but it felt fresher in an odd sense.

Also, Shep's discussion of the Edsel in the show reminded me of a discussion I had several months ago with someone I know who owns an Edsel and belongs to an local Edsel club. We were talking about the local Edsel dealership, which was located in Beverly, MA & is now a rent-a-car place. This person was telling me that he knew the owner of the dealership and tried to get him to talk before the club. The guy refused to do so because he had a lot of bad memories. Apparently, in order to get an Edsel francise, you could not sell any other car lines. So basically it was all or nothing & a lot of these dealerships ended up w/nothing.

Before finishing up, I do want to say that I'm currently reading a biography of Vivian Stanshall that came out about 5 yrs. ago called The Ginger Geezer. If you don't know who he is, he was one of the members of the Bonzo Dog Band & one of the last true British eccentrics. He & Shep had some things in common, such as a love of '20s jazz and language and that their talents were spread out in different media. However, Shep was a bit more focused in his talents and Viv unfortunately had problems which were increased by overprescription of Valium. It think Shep would have found him interesting to say the least. Well, hope you all have a nice remainder of the summer & hope to read your thoughts and musings sometime soon.
Think clean thoughts, diskojoe
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page